"Rock lobster capital of Australia!!" Port MacDonnell by alisonr
Port MacDonnell Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 66 photos
Port Mac Donnell is about 1/2 hour drive to the South of Mt Gambier. It is a small beachside town which is the rock lobster capital of Australia! (Rock lobsters are also called crayfish). You can see the fleets of boats mored in the breakwater during the day. They travel out and collect pots full of crayfish and sell them for a mint! You can actually catch them yourselves off the breakwater - see me for more information!!
It is a nice little town with 2 fish and chip shops, a pub, a bakery and nice forshore to sit and enjoy it all. There are some amazing and dramatic sea scapes to the right of the jetty, with cliffs and rocks being pounded by the southern ocean.
Be warned though, if it is a nice warm day in the Mount, guaranteed it will be blowing a gale and cold down the bay!
A nice day or 1/2 day trip.
- Pros:Show paced, relaxing spot.
- Cons:Can be cold, so take your jumper!
As you drive up the right of the jetty, you will go past the lighthouse. I am not sure if you can go inside and walk up... more travel advice
Take a drive up to the right of the jetty to see some cliffs, big waves and dramatic sea scapes. more travel advice
alisonr's Related Pages
Port MacDonnell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT MACDONNELL"
- "PORT MacDONNELL"
- "Port MacDonnell, Lobster Capital of Australia"
- "Rock lobster capital of Australia!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port MacDonnell
- Restaurants in Port MacDonnell
- Shopping in Port MacDonnell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port MacDonnell
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Port MacDonnell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port MacDonnell
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 53 reviews, 160 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 46 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos
- Phuket Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Penang Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos