"Kings Lynn - North West Norfolk" King's Lynn by Paolomusc
King's Lynn Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 58 photos
If you have never been to Kings Lynn, or maybe never considered it, then please think again. In its time it was one of the most important ports on the East Coast of Britain. The old part around what was once the small harbour on the River Ouse, is full of character with cobbled streets and tiny alleyways and houses hanging over the street. It was used in many 'Dickensian' TV dramas. There is still a small ferry taking people across the river to West Lynn. These alleyways and streets lead you down to the vast 'Tuesday Market Place' which is a car park during most of the year but once a year is given over to the 'Mart' a huge fun time covering the entire square. Like all 'modern' towns it also has its more modern shopping area which is humming with activity daily, but especially at weekends.
The Tourist Information Centre is located in a building that was once the Customs House for the port. It should be the first stop and its here that you can book a local guide to take you around the historic sites.
Visit the Town Hall and see King John's Jewells rescued from 'The Wash' many years ago. You would expect these to be in London, but Lynn has them and they are worth going to see. There are also other things going on there too. While I was there (June 2012) there was an exhibition of photos of Royal visits to Kings Lynn over the years. Remember that the Queen's personal Sandringham Estate is just down the road and since her own rail station was closed, she arrives at Kings Lynn each year for Christmas with the family.
- Pros:Wonderful town to stroll through
- Cons:Parking is charged for even on Sundays!
- In a nutshell:A distinctly different experience.
Paolomusc's Related Pages
King's Lynn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "King's Lynn - an historic port city"
- "King's Lynn, aka Lynn Regis"
- "A rainy day in King's Lynn"
- "Kings Lynn - North West Norfolk"
- "it was a cold and wet december day ..."
- "A Maritime marvel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in King's Lynn
- Hotels in King's Lynn
- Transportation in King's Lynn
- Nightlife in King's Lynn
- Restaurants in King's Lynn
- Shopping in King's Lynn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in King's Lynn
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to King's Lynn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in King's Lynn
Photos in King's LynnSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Gravedona Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Bergamo Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Rome Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- King's Lynn Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Bridgend Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Pisa Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Cardiff 1 review, 3 photos
- Milan 1 review, 2 photos
- Porthcawl Intro, 2 photos