"Alto Lario - a new destination?" Gravedona by Paolomusc
Gravedona Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 20 photos
If you have ever been to Lake Como in Italy, you will know that it is the deepest and longest lake in Europe, and you may well have stayed in Menaggio, Bellagio, Tremezzo or Cadenabbia, but you may not know that just a little further up the lake is Gravedona.
Gravedona is a small town perched on the edge of the lake with tiny alleyways and houses that tumble down to the lakeside. It was once the most important town in the upper lake area (Alto Lario) but today is a pleasant, non-touristy place to visit.
Just down the road is Dongo, where Mussolini was caught after WW2 trying to escape with his girlfriend and his money. He was held overnight in the small mountain village of Germasino, which is above Dongo, and then transfered down to Dongo in the morning. Before the authorities could get up from Milan to take him, the partisans gave him a quick trial and then shot him and his girlfriend and hung them upside down from the lamposts - gruesome or interesting? Perhaps more interesting is the restaurant at Hotel Dongo which is frequented by George Clooney although he may have sold his house on the lake now, so might not go there so often.
North of Gravedona is Domaso, the main watersports town for the lake. There are lots of hotels in the resort and its easy to get to and easy to get from there to anywhere else on the lake. Its a lot more reasonably priced than the middle lake too.
The trees along the lakeside are covered with leaves in the hot summer, providing welcome shade from the heat but during the winter when this photo was taken, its fascinating to see the way the trees have grown into each other, a sort of 'brotherhood of trees'
There are lots of quality hotels in the resort including the Hotel Regina, right on the lakeside and the very traditional italian Hotel Lauro which I have stayed in and thoroughly enjoyed. I have stayed at the Hotel La Villa more often though and know the management well. This picture is the amazing view from room 112 at Hotel La Villa in Gravedona; fabulous!
- Pros:Less tourists and very italian
- Cons:Not so many restaraunts and bars as larger resorts (But this might also be a pro!)
- In a nutshell:Wonderfully welcoming little italian town set in spectacular location on the shores of a beautiful lake.
There aren't too many shops in Gavedona other than a few smaller one and two larger food stores. For fun shopping... more travel advice
With the advent of cheap flights and small carry-on baggage, its even more important to make certain that the small... more travel advice
- Easy to get to
- Check out Palazzo Gallio
- Brilliant location by the lake
- Via Regina Ponente
Paolomusc's Related Pages
Gravedona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alto Lario - a new destination?"
- "Relaxing time in a nice town"
- "Gravedona - Northern Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gravedona
- Hotels in Gravedona
- Transportation in Gravedona
- Nightlife in Gravedona
- Restaurants in Gravedona
- Shopping in Gravedona
- Warnings and Dangers in Gravedona
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gravedona
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Gravedona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gravedona
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Rome a romantic place or..."
- updated a Gravedona Travel Page "Alto Lario - a new destination?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Try the street markets"
- Wrote a Review Try the street markets in Gravedona Shopping
- Uploaded a Video to Gravedona
- Commented on one of parik112's Gravedona travel pages
Photos in GravedonaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Gravedona Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Bergamo Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Rome Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Venice Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- King's Lynn Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Bridgend Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Cardiff 1 review, 3 photos
- Milan 1 review, 2 photos
- Porthcawl Intro, 2 photos
- Wales 1 review
Latest Gravedona hotel reviews
- Hotel La Villa
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013