"Shanksville" Shanksville by billus

Shanksville Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 26 photos

Historic Route 30

I came across this rather forlorn looking springhouse driving back across my Blue Commonwealth. I put it at about 1850, given its slate tile roof and stone masonry construction. Today the farmland surrounding it has been put to a more economical use.

This is a textbook example of the Pennsylvania vernacular farmhouse. What caught my eye was the strange juxtaposition of a symmetrical facade on rolling field of car wrecks. The house serves today as the office for car part customers.

Up the road I gasped in astonishment when I saw this sign, here, where I least expected. Shanksville seems a pretty down and out town, the last place you'd expect to find this. Or would you?

• Intro Updated Nov 28, 2004

• empbu's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 9:27 AM

Just watched the document "The flight that fought back"...:/ would be nice to visit this site someday.

• CubsIn4's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2005 at 12:17 AM

My brother and I were driving east on Rt 30 when we passed a sign saying "Shanksville 5." I said, "Do you realize where we are?" It hadn't occurred to me that we would drive through Shanksville. I work next to the WTC and feel a connection to the area.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 4:01 PM

Damn, I missed on my last stopover in Philly. Greetings from FL.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 3:55 PM

Autokerkhof!

billus

“there is no plan B”

Badges & Stats in Shanksville

Have you been to Shanksville?

Latest Activity in Shanksville