"Algodones, Mexicali" Algodones by teresajgregory

Algodones Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 22 photos

Algodones - Beautiful Day!

It was only a Wednesday and there were thousands of visitors from the U.S and elsewhere. The streets were full of people and it was very clean! A lot of people were buying drugs at pharmacies which were located everywhere. There were also a lot of outdoor markets and restaurants. It was a peaceful and beautiful sunny day. The locals were nice and very helpful. I believe they wish to keep the tourist coming!

My only advice would be to plan on leaving early in the day as the line to get back across the U.S. border was over two hours long!. Also, it may not be quite as safe there in the evening. The Federalis' were along the line of people leaving - and I do not know what for - whether to protect the tourist or to keep the peace. Either or both I guess is good! Of course, you need a Passport to cross back over to the U.S. They really did not go through all of our bags or anything, just one or two and it was a casual experience. They just wanted to see what T-shirs I bought! It was my first time there so I learned a lot just by talking to the people in front and back of us in the line, and of course, there was plenty of time for that - take some water! Apparently, people have been going there monthly for years and just leave earlier in the day so there will be less chance of having difficulties. I was still glad to get in sight of the American flag at the border though!

I did take a pic or two of the infamous Green Door which people have warned about. I didn't go inside even though the locals were motioning for me to do so - I can learn from others!

• Last visit to Algodones: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2010

Comments

teresajgregory

“Travl'n Bone in Motion!”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Algodones

Have you been to Algodones?

Latest Activity in Algodones