"An unknown gem of culture and heritage" Niebla by berenices
Niebla Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 29 photos
The village of Niebla is located roughly 30km to the southeast of Huelva city and 60km from Seville. Most tourists and visitors stop at the big cities which flank both its sides, completely missing this small gem of a place. Its relatively small number of inhabitants does not reflect the amount of beauty and archaeological heritage that can be found within its ancient walls and buildings.
Niebla's history stretches back roughly 3000 years. Archaeological finds suggest that farming activities were undertaken during the end of the Bronze Age. By the 8th century B.C., Phoenician traders became interested in the silver that was mined in the hinterland of the province. Residents of Niebla worked in the silver industry since the town was located in a location between the mines and the ocean port.
Niebla, because of the mining resources nearby prospered for a long time under various rulers, including the Moors for several centuries, well into until the the Middle Ages. Its prosperity and importance can be seen in the impressive structures that remained after many of its buildings collapsed during the great Lisbon earthquake in 1775. Most of what survive dates from the 13th and 14th centuries.
The Alcazar, the Castle, and the Walls are impressive and very much worth a side or a day trip when visiting Andalusia.
berenices' Related Pages
Niebla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Niebla, a hidden gem off the bitten path"
- "An unknown gem of culture and heritage"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Niebla
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Niebla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niebla
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Aracena Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Vienna Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Bern Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Vila Franca de Xira Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Distrito de Leiria Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos