"Alpine Village in the North Georgia Mountains" Helen by dustmon
Helen Travel Guide: 182 reviews and 433 photos
Helen is basically a one-street town with everything along Hiway 75 going north towards Hiawassee, another fun North Ga town. Helen is pretty touristy but lots of free entertainment and inexpensive tourist shopping (tshirts, chotskis, etc) and tuning on the Chattahoochee River which flows right thru the middle of town. This river goes all the way to my home Atlanta area 80 something miles to the south. There are some cool State/National Parks nearby with waterfalls and trails for hikers.
Sometimes the traffic can back up---pedestrians have the right of way everywhere, here.
Coming up from the Atlanta area, we came through Alto and stopped at Mickey Piggs for some BBQ for lunch (take out) and it was pretty good. Catfish and ribs with some trimmins came to about $20. On the right as you come into Alto (up on a hill) (256 Anderson Circle)
- Pros:near alot of cool stuff
You can pan for gold or gems or fossils here---not sure how for real this is, but there were folks there when we drove... more travel advice
Right in the middle of the main drag, there is a peaceful break in the shopping called Alana Falls---not really much but... more travel advice
dustmon's Related Pages
Helen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alpine Theme Far from Europe"
- "helen, georgia"
- "A town reinvents itself"
- "Willkommen to Helen"
- "Helen Georgia"
- "Georgia Alpine Village"
- "Welcome to Helen, GA or Alpine Helen as some say."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helen
- Hotels in Helen
- Transportation in Helen
- Nightlife in Helen
- Restaurants in Helen
- Shopping in Helen
- Warnings and Dangers in Helen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helen
- 19 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Helen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helen
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 152 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Intro, 95 reviews, 161 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 128 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marietta Intro, 106 reviews, 100 photos
- Kennesaw Intro, 55 reviews, 57 photos
- Mal País Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 22 reviews, 30 photos
- Duluth Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Helen Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos