"Kalmynos - an island waiting for it's tourists" Kalymnos Island by Tracyden
Kalymnos Island Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 92 photos
We visited Kalymnos before the opening of it's international airport - the airport was built but rumour had it demonstrations by the local ferry companies were keeping it closed.
We flew to Kos and following a short flight delay - had to make a mad rush to catch the connecting ferry. The ferry took up to the island's capital - pothia town
Kalymnos is a island of contrast. A lot of people emigrated following the collapse of the local sponge diving industry. You can still see some old sailors on crutches and in wheelchairs following bends accidents. The emigrants have started to return home bringing with them australian and american accents and huge wealth - and building mansion style villas and opening businesses - don't be surprised that you taxi driver is american. In contract the islanders who remained - remained in poverty - with small houses - moving their bed onto verandahs to sleep on the hot summer nights.
The beaches around missouri were the quietest I've every visited. Quite often my famaily was alone on them until noon - bar a local greek lady who every morning went sea swimming in her black dress - then changed into a fresh black dress and went on her way.
We stayed in the village resort of Elies which is full of tavernas and restarurants most of which sit empty. It's as if the village was developed in anticipation of the tourists expected to fly into the airport which has never opened.
Of those who do brave the sea crossing to the island there are climbers - the mountains are amazing and change colour in the sun before your eyes. Some apartments stay open all year round to cater for them. Kalymnos is also popular with birdwatchers due to the mountains housing the rare Elenoras Falsons.
- Pros:Not lots of tourists
- In a nutshell:A destination waiting to happen
On the hill over Ellies there is an old monastry - it's now uninhabited since the last monk left - I bet he had fun... more travel advice
Pothis town is a great day out - you can get the local bus there. There's a sponge factory (see my things to do tip) and... more travel advice
Tracyden's Related Pages
Kalymnos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Doing The Dodecanese""
- "Sponge Divers' Island"
- "Welcome to my Kalimnos Page"
- "Daytripping to Kalymnos"
- "Kalmynos - an island waiting for it's tourists"
- "Second Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalymnos Island
- Hotels in Kalymnos Island
- Transportation in Kalymnos Island
- Shopping in Kalymnos Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kalymnos Island
- 9 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kalymnos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalymnos Island
Photos in Kalymnos IslandSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Paxoi Island Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lesvos Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Kalymnos Island Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Manchester Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salem Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Goa Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos