"THE BEAUTIFUL ISLAND OF KOS" Kos Island by greekcypriot
Kos Island Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 539 photos
Kos is the third largest island of the Dodekanese, located North of Rhodes at the southeast corner of the Aegean sea.
Area: 1398.5 sq. km. and with a population of 100.000.
The island’s size and variety of offerings could keep a visitor happy for a week-long visit or even longer, and its proximity to other islands and Turkey allows for day cruises to KALYMNOS, PSERIMOS, NISIROS and BODRUM (Turkey).
The island stays pretty warm all year round but in the summer it reaches a particular high of over 20 degrees and regularly reaches 30 degrees.
Kos holidays are great choice for those who want to beat the summer rush.
Farming is one of the most important occupations on the island with crops such as grapes, olives, tomatoes, lettuce and corn being grown.
Besides these crops being produced on the island, they also produce local red and white wines which are available for testing in restaurants and wineries throughout the island.
In August, there is a Hypocratia Festival celebrating the life of Hippocrates that features live music and athletic contests, certainly not to be missed!
The main port is the tourist and cultural centre.
The village of KARDAMENA is a popular resort for young tourists with bars and nightclubs.
The villages around the island are worth exploring, giving the visitor the Greek culture.
Kos’ historical highlights include the Plane Tree of Hippocrates where the father of modern medicine, Hippocrates was thought to have taught.
Having read the above, I am ready to explore this beautiful island in the Aegean Sea!
The trip from Athens to Kos is just 35 minutes by plane. Our car is waiting for us at the airport and it’s a Fiat Panda for just 23 euros a day.
We drive to our hotel in just 25 minutes, leave our suitcase and walk towards the castle. The hotel is right on the beach. There are all sorts of shops around. People are swimming just two steps from the street across. Every now and then we see ships and sailing boats coming in or leaving the port of Kos.
Opposite in some distance we can see Turkey. It is so interesting and we can’t wait to start exploring the whole island….and who knows, even other places too!!
Kos is full of Palm trees, full of life, and beauty. It is still May and the island is full of tourists!
We are advised to visit Zia – the perfect village to see the beautiful sunset,
so we set off driving towards this wonderful little village which has breathtaking views.
It is a tourist village, very picturesque and it is full of Restaurants and souvenir shops. It is located on the hill of Dikaios. We take a walk throughout the village and reach to the highest point. Women sit outside their doorsteps for the daily afternoon chat. They are neighbours who have lived in this little village for so many years. They smile and talk to us while we walk pass them, and I even stop to take a photo with them.
The view from out here is fantastic. It is getting late, and the lights from the opposite Turkish villages are on. Some other lights a bit further behind some rocky hills seem as if they are trembling because of the distance.
The time of the sunset has come, and it is magic!
Don’t leave this island without coming out here.
We are told not to miss the beautiful sunset from a certain spot up here and they were right!
What a wonderful moment!!
I visited Oromedon Restaurant twice while in Kos. I honestly cannot find words to say about the fast service, the tasty... more travel advice
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Kos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short name, long vacation :)"
- "Island of Hippocrates"
- "THE GREEK ISLAND OF KOS"
- "Kos Island, a wonderful island."
- "Kos town"
- "About the Dodecanese islands and Kos"
- "Kos, a dream for all the travellers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kos Island
- Hotels in Kos Island
- Transportation in Kos Island
- Nightlife in Kos Island
- Restaurants in Kos Island
- Shopping in Kos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Kos Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kos Island
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Kos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kos Island
Photos in Kos IslandSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 183 reviews, 272 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 75 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 32 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 66 reviews, 88 photos
- Skyros Island Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (85)
Latest Kos Island hotel reviews
- Neptune Hotels Resort and Convention Centre and Spa
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013