"Metsovo is a Beautiful Resort in Epirus" Top 5 Page for this destination Metsovon by greekcypriot
Metsovon Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 173 photos
Metsovo is a remarkable town in Epirus 550 kms from Athens, only 37 minutes drive from Ioannina. It is like an Alpine village, reminding me very much of Switzerland. Not only the climate but the houses remind me of this country. It is a popular destination the year round with much greenery, and natural beauty. In winter Metsovo is a very popular destination and a ski resort.
I believe it is one of the few places left in Greece where people are dressed in traditional costumes. The older women of course wear theirs, mostly during the weekends.
Locals speak a Vlach dialect which sounds like Latin.
Through the whole central square there are benches where locals gather for their daily gossip, and exchanging the latest new.
Most of them hold their sticks – glitsas as they are called in Greek, and others their string of beads. They love chatting with tourists and they are very interesting and kind people.
Metsovo is a Vlach village. The Vlachs were nomadic shepherds thus the village is popular for its dairy products. Here one can find excellent quality of butter and cheese of exceptional aroma and taste. Metsovo is famous for Metsovone and Metsovela its remarkable cheese and wine making industries.
Locals are Vlachs who speak Vlachika, a Latin-based language and I cannot understand a word of what they say. I don't want to write here about the language or go deeper in the history of Metsovo, but what I truly know is that these people have a pride of their culture. Being a Vlach is a way of life.
There are many benches throughout the central square of Metsovo and it is the meeting place for locals for the day’s gossip. You will always find them here, nearly all holding a stick –in Greek it is called 'glitsa’ similar to that the shepherds have.
Metsovo is a Vlach village. The Vlachs were nomadic shepherds thus the village is popular for its dairy products. Here one can find excellent quality of butter and cheese of exceptional aroma and taste.
It is famous for METSOVONE Cheese and the METSOVELA wine making industries.
- Pros:Beautiful the whole year round with Proud and Loving People!
- Cons:It is pity that not many locals wear like before their Traditional Costumes.
- In a nutshell:I found immense beauty here, Loving people and Fine Quality Dairy Products!
Don't miss buying local dairy products. These can be the smoked Metsovone, Metsovella cheese, guyere and many... more travel advice
Some very Useful Telephone Numbers for People Visiting Metsovo: Municipality of Metsovo 26560-41207, 41333 Police... more travel advice
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Metsovon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Epirus, another Greece"
- "Metsovo is a Beautiful Resort in Epirus"
- "touristic but picturesque"
- "Metsovo - Prefecture of Ioannina"
- "Metsovo and the region"
- "A good place to stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Metsovon
- Hotels in Metsovon
- Transportation in Metsovon
- Restaurants in Metsovon
- Shopping in Metsovon
- Warnings and Dangers in Metsovon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Metsovon
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Metsovon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Metsovon
Photos in MetsovonSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 183 reviews, 272 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 75 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 32 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 66 reviews, 88 photos
- Skyros Island Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos