"THASSOS ISLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island by greekcypriot
Thasos Island Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 468 photos
The Island of Thassos is a real treasure for the country of Greece!
Unlike the rest of the Greek islands, the Island of Thassos has much more to offer than just beautiful beaches and water. It truly retains all the Greek culture and tradition that has generally been lost on most of the Greek Islands, as they have become tourist centers that now cater to the many tourists of multi nationalities. Thassos also has a rich history and archeological sites scattered through out the island. You can combine amusement with archaeological interests. Kavala was a colony of the Thassians. On the island one can still see monuments remaining since its glorious days from the past, such as the walls of the fortress of the ancient city, the temple of Pythian Apollo and the sanctuary of Dionysus with its choragic monument.
Thassos is the most fertile island in the Aegean Sea. It produces cereals, legumes, fruit, honey and wine. In the coastal areas olives are cultivated.
An important reason for choosing Thassos for your holidays is the fact that it is the only island that lies close enough to mainland Greece to allow you to take excursions to many other archeological sites and beautiful cities that are spread throughout Northern Greece (Macedonia).
Thassos is the most remote northern island of the Thracian Sea, lying in a 7 to 8-mile distance opposite the coastline of Eastern Macedonia, very close to the Keramoti Bay and the estuary of the Nestos River (Northern latitude 40’40’, Eastern Longitude 24’40’).
Its surface is as large as 393 km and has a population near 13,111 people. It is one of the provinces of Kavala Region, comprising, in terms of administration, 1 municipality (Municipality of Thassos) and 9 communities.
Thassos is mountainous as well as rocky, and is covered by thick forests of pine trees, fir trees, oak trees, and plane trees. Its forests occupy approximately the 9\10 of the island’s surface, while olive groves thrive all along its coastline. The timber is always in demand for shipbuilding.
Thassos has an abundant supply of minerals. Copper in the districts of Astris, Thimonia and Theologos; lead, silver and zinc in Limenaria; iron in the district of Kallirachi. The famous mines of Thassos, as well as the famous shipbuilding timber gave rise to the brilliant development, glamour and progress during antiquity. The marble quarries of Thassos have always been famous. The all white marble of Thassos was famous during antiquity and remains so even today, as it is suitable for the construction of statues as well as majestic mansions. Thasian marble was used during the times of the Byzantine Empire for the erection of Saint Sofia’s church in Constantinople.
All this wealth attract the Phoenicians, that were the first residents of the island.The marble quarries of Thassos have always been famous. The all white marble of Thassos was famous during antiquity and remains so even today, as it is suitable for the construction of statues as well as majestic mansions. Thasian marble was used during the times of the Byzantine Empire for the erection of Saint Sofia’s church in Constantinople.
- Pros:UNBEATABLE BEACHES WITH RICH VEGETATION
- Cons:ONLY GOOD WORDS FOR THIS ISLAND.
- In a nutshell:UNBELIEVABLE BEACHES, AND PICTURESQUE MOUNTAIN VILLAGES
Kazaviti is one of the most picturesque villages in Thassos, built on a hill side above a valley. The stone made houses... more travel advice
Every year on the first day of Lent, otherwise known as Clean Monday, or "Kathari Theftera", a large festival is held.... more travel advice
- See All Kinira Village
- See All Buy a Second hand Lilo from Skala...
- No Valuables with you on beaches !
- Get an umbrella and beach bed and stick...
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Thasos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THASSOS ISLAND"
- "Honey Pine Olives Sea"
- "VINTAGE THASSOS"
- "THE BLUE AND GREEN GEM OF THASSOS"
- "Thasos Island"
- "T H A S O S"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thasos Island
- Hotels in Thasos Island
- Transportation in Thasos Island
- Nightlife in Thasos Island
- Restaurants in Thasos Island
- Shopping in Thasos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Thasos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thasos Island
- 32 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Thasos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thasos Island
- Posted in Travel Aegina Island Forum "Re: Holiday houses / Hotels / Bed..."
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Thasos Island tips
- updated a Thasos Island Travel Page "THASSOS ISLAND"
- Wrote a Review Kazaviti Picturesque Village in Thasos Island Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kazaviti Picturesque Village"
Photos in Thasos IslandSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 129 reviews, 405 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 177 reviews, 274 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 86 reviews, 254 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 76 reviews, 219 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 63 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue