Larnaca Warnings Or Dangers Tips by greekcypriot Top 5 Page for this destination
Larnaca Warnings and Dangers: 9 reviews and 11 photos
The bite of a Weever fish is horrible!
It is advisable to have plastic shoes on when you swim to avoid the danger of being bitten by a dragon-fish (drakena) in Greek.
I had heard of many cases in the past and I have known about these bites from youth. Recently a friend’s daughter was bitten by one and she spent a week in hospital under drip and antibiotics. The pain is unbearable.
It has turned out to be quite common in Cyprus and there should have been signs at the beaches however the Cyprus Tourism Organization does not seem to be bothered about this. It is not deadly but the pain you get from it (if you step on its fin, when the fish hides in sand in shallow water) is just incredible. My friend who urged me to write about it had seen her child screaming so much, with her foot still swollen 2 weeks after the incident which happened at Kourion beach.
More on the link:
LARNACA GENERAL HOSPITAL
There shouldn’t be any health issues to worry about during your visit to Larnaca. No vaccinations are required, and although samples of poultry in northern Cyprus tested positive for avian influenza in 2006, the risk to visitors is believed to be very low. The tap water is safe to drink, but it’s usually a better idea to drink bottled water or local microorganisms may upset your stomach. The food in Larnaca’s restaurants is up to international hygiene standards, but always be careful when ordering shellfish; if it is even slightly undercooked, you could be at risk of a serious stomach illness.
The Mediterranean sun in Larnaca is extremely strong, especially if you are coming from northern climes. Always wear sunblock when you venture out, especially if you head to the beach. Sunburn can quickly ruin your trip. Also, remember to drink plenty of water while you are out and about. It is easy to become dehydrated in the Mediterranean sun and this can lead to sunstroke.
If you experience any illness or injury during your visit, there are excellent medical facilities right in Larnaca. Many of the staff and doctors speak English and can assist you with any problems. Citizens of the EU should be covered by their own insurance plan and reciprocal health agreements, but visitors from other countries should take out travel insurance to cover any unexpected hospital costs. The price of travel insurance is very small when compared to a big medical bill.
Larnaca General Hospital:Archbishop Makarios III, Larnaca
Phone: :+357 04 630 312 or 300
More Reviews (75)
- See All The Salt Lake of Larnaca -End of October
- See All Excellent Location –A Steady Value!
- See All The Mosque of Tekke by the Salt Lake
- See All Attention...Avoid Makenzi area till...
- See All Impeccable Service, Excellent location...
- See All Cosy and Inviting!
- See All Intercity Buses
- See All Cypriot dishes and how to ask for them...
- See All It's really hot...Cool up with a KEO...
- See All Fashionable Boutiques in Larnaca
- "Kataklysmos" - Flood Festival in...
Been to Larnaca?Share your travels with the world!
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Larnaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a good base to explore a nice part of Cyprus"
- "I like Larnaca."
- "L A R N A C A"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Larnaca
- Hotels in Larnaca
- Transportation in Larnaca
- Nightlife in Larnaca
- Restaurants in Larnaca
- Shopping in Larnaca
- Warnings and Dangers in Larnaca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Larnaca
- 77 Reviews
- 209 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Larnaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Larnaca
Photos in LarnacaSee All Photos (209)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 185 reviews, 277 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 75 reviews, 327 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 87 reviews, 284 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 77 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Laconia Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos
- Mosque of Hala Saltan Tekke- 11 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Aliki - Salt Lake- 7 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Agios Lazaros Church- 12 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Larnaca Fort- 7 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Beach- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Djami Kebir Mosque- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Phinikoudes- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Larnaca Promenade- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Pierides Museum- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos