"LARNACA" Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca by greekcypriot
Larnaca Travel Guide: 286 reviews and 790 photos
My hometown: One of the reasons I love my country so much is that it is a country of contrasts. The guest has lots and lots of choices for exceptional holidays here. Larnaca, my hometown is one such exceptional destination and this is one of the reasons I decided to spend more time here this time.
The Palm tree promenade:
In Greek it is called Finikoudes, meaning or small palm trees.
Of course the palm trees nowadays are very big. I was reading that they were planted in 1922. The main road is called “Athinon Avenue” and is landscaped with these magnificent palm trees, and several vibrant flower beds that beautify and colour the area.
The whole of this place is very touristy and fames for its trendy café bars, the chic restaurants and the many hotels that are around. It is a lively spot to be any time of day, year or season and it is even more beautiful in the evening with all these lights on. During the summer nights this avenue is full of life till dawn.
The Cypriot climate consists of hot dry summers commencing in mid-May running through to mid-September. The weather is milder during spring till autumn and the coolest months of the year are January and February.
The most amazing with our climate in Cyprus are the beautiful clear skies and the deep clolour of blue that is so vivid. I also love sunshine after a heavy rainfall.
The beach is mostly calm with mild waves and lifeguards are on duty the entire summer. There are facilities like changing rooms, toilets, showers and there is access to the disabled. Of course the beach is more attractive with the colourful umbrellas and sun beds on.
Larnaca is built over the Ancient City of Kition.
PLACES OF INTEREST
The Salt Lake is the first thing a visitor will see upon landing. It is the favorite winter habitat for flaningoes and many other migratory birds. (Very close to the airport).
The Mosque of Hala Sultan Tekke is behind the salt lake.
The Church of St. Lazarus.
The Palm Beach Promenade (Finikoudes) and the marina.
The Church of Angeloktisti Church in the outskirts town of Kiti.
The solitary monastery of Stavrovouni.
The dotted with picturesque villages hills (Lefkara famous for its hand-made lace embroideries).
The many interesting Museums.
Choirokoitia the Neolithic settlement.
The beautiful Sandy beaches all around it.
The entrance of the Marina is opposite the colonial buildings of Europe Square.
The walk on the Pier is traditional social activity. I remember myself back in school those days, walking up and down this marina with family members or friends, during weekends or in times of different festivities. But of course I always take advantage of the beautiful weather and whenever I find myself in Larnaca I love having a stroll by the marina even these days.
You get the feeling of a real sea-town where activities are extended to the open sea. Tourists can have a mini cruise in the bay of Larnaca, Ayia Napa and Protaras or choose a glass bottom boat to enjoy the deep. You can enjoy a day cruise of your choice or a submarine underwater mini cruise. The bottom of the sea is full of smaller and bigger wrecks –the most famous being the Zenovia.
The 1st Site of Interest encountered upon arrival at my hometown is the Salt Lake.
The flamingos gracing Cyprus every year are the ‘Phoenicopterus roseus’ –the most widespread species of the flamingo family. They always come in December and stay till March.
- Pros:All places of interest are within walking distance
- Cons:It can be quite noisy if you stay in hotels right on the promenade especially on holidays and during weekends.
- In a nutshell:An amazing City to be explored!
Look out for the “Lunch Offer”. It is a great bargain for less than €10.00. The choice and tastes are top! Lunch... more travel advice
It is always nice returning to Livadhiotis when in Larnaca. If I am not mistaken this might be my 5th or 6th... more travel advice
- See All Horse Cart Riding in Larnaca
- See All Finikoudes Main Bus Stop
- See All International Beach Volleyball...
- See All Attention...Avoid Makenzi area till...
- See All Cosy and Inviting!
- See All The Weever's poisonous spines!
- See All Cypriot dishes and how to ask for them...
- See All It's really hot...Cool up with a KEO...
- See All Fashionable Boutiques in Larnaca
- "Kataklysmos" - Flood Festival in...
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Larnaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a good base to explore a nice part of Cyprus"
- "I like Larnaca."
- "L A R N A C A"
- "Larnaca - Lárnaka"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Larnaca
- Hotels in Larnaca
- Transportation in Larnaca
- Nightlife in Larnaca
- Restaurants in Larnaca
- Shopping in Larnaca
- Warnings and Dangers in Larnaca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Larnaca
- 86 Reviews
- 258 Photos
- 37 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Larnaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Larnaca
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 129 reviews, 406 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 178 reviews, 278 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 85 reviews, 249 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 80 reviews, 239 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 65 reviews, 172 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue