"LARNACA" Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca by greekcypriot
Larnaca Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 686 photos
My hometown: One of the reasons I love my country so much is that it is a country of contrasts. The guest has lots and lots of choices for exceptional holidays here. Larnaca, my hometown is one such exceptional destination and this is one of the reasons I decided to spend more time here this time.
The Palm tree promenade: In Greek it is called Finikoudes, meaning or small palm trees. Of course the palm trees nowadays are very big. I was reading that they were planted in 1922. The main road is called “Athinon Avenue” and is landscaped with these magnificent palm trees, and several vibrant flower beds that beautify and colour the area. The whole of this place is very touristy and fames for its trendy café bars, the chic restaurants and the many hotels that are around. It is a lively spot to be any time of day, year or season and it is even more beautiful in the evening with all these lights on. During the summer nights this avenue is full of life till dawn.
Serious businesses like hotels that care for their guests, have double glazed windows to keep noise out so this is not a problem at all, but in budget hotels this is really a huge problem as tourists complain that they cannot sleep at all.
The waters here are shallow and the beach is ideal for families with young children. It is a popular spot for locals as well. You see, they come here early each morning and again in the afternoons to exercise. I do it myself if I happen to be around it does not really have to be summer!
Weather: The Cypriot climate consists of hot dry summers commencing in mid-May running through to mid-September. The weather is milder during spring till autumn and the coolest months of the year are January and February. The most amazing with our climate in Cyprus are the beautiful clear skies and the deep clolour of blue that is so vivid. I also love sunshine after a heavy rainfall.
The beach is mostly calm with mild waves and lifeguards are on duty the entire summer. There are facilities like changing rooms, toilets, showers and there is access to the disabled. Of course the beach is more attractive with the colourful umbrellas and sun beds on.
Larnaca is built over the Ancient City of Kition.
Places of Interest to see here are the following:
The salt lake is the first thing a visitor will see upon landing. It is the favorite winter habitat for flaningoes and many other migratory birds. (Very close to the airport).
The Mosque of Hala Sultan Tekke is behind the salt lake.
The Church of St. Lazarus
The Palm Beach Promenade (Finikoudes) and the marina.
The Church of Angeloktisti Church in the outskirts town of Kiti
The solitary monastery of Stavrovouni
The dotted with picturesque villages hills (Lefkara famous for its hand-made lace embroideries).
Choirokoitia the Neolithic settlement
The beautiful sandy beaches all around it.
- Pros:All places of interest are within walking distance
- Cons:I cannot find any
- In a nutshell:An amazing City to be explored!
I am back to Larnaca once again and I got to the Salt Lake for a walk with my sister. This time there are no flamingos... more travel advice
Disappointing inside, but Picturesque Spot for a walk! Tekke is of great importance to the Islamic world but nowadays... more travel advice
- See All Impeccable Service, Excellent location...
- See All Cosy and Inviting!
- See All The Weever's poisonous spines!
- See All Intercity Buses
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Larnaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a good base to explore a nice part of Cyprus"
- "I like Larnaca."
- "L A R N A C A"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Larnaca
- Hotels in Larnaca
- Transportation in Larnaca
- Nightlife in Larnaca
- Restaurants in Larnaca
- Shopping in Larnaca
- Warnings and Dangers in Larnaca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Larnaca
- 77 Reviews
- 209 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Larnaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Larnaca
Photos in LarnacaSee All Photos (209)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 185 reviews, 277 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 75 reviews, 327 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 87 reviews, 284 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 77 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Laconia Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos