" NICOSIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia by greekcypriot
Nicosia Travel Guide: 287 reviews and 663 photos
It is the only divided city in Europe after the invasion of the Turks in 1974.
The ‘green line’ is the United Nations buffer zone and divides the north part where Turks live with the south.
The city centre and very old with many shops and tourists love coming here because there is a variety of things to buy.
The old town is actually a picturesque fusion of 16th-century walls, pedestrian precincts, pavement cafes and squares.
When in Nicosia don’t miss visiting the Cyprus Museum. I was astound when I visited it 2 years ago.
The Cyprus Museum houses the best collection of arhaeological artefacts on the island, inclding a first century AD Roman statuette o Aphrodite of Soli.
Address: Mouseiou 1,
Tel.: (02) 86 58 64
Opening hours: Monday-Saturday 9-17; Sunday 10-13
Priceless and fascinating collections of Cypriot antiquities and treasures from Neolithic Age to Early Byzantine period.
OTHER MUSEUMS TO VISIT ARE:
Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia
Address: Ippokratus 17, near Laiki Geitonia,
Tel.: (02) 66 14 75
Opening hours: Tuesday-Sunday 10-16:30
The historical museum of Lefkosia revives life in the capital from ancient times to the present day.
Byzantine Museum and Art Galleries
Address: Archbishop Makarios III Foundation Cultural Center within the Archbishopric, Plateia Arch. Kiprianou.
Tel.: (02) 43 00 08
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 9-16:30; Saturday 9-13
Largest collection of icons on the island, covering the period from 9th to 18th century AD. The Art Galleries contain oil paintings, maps and lithographs.
Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus
Address: Plateia Arch. Kyprianou.
Tel.: (02) 43 25 78
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 9-17; Saturday 10-13
(Former: Cyprus Folk Art Museum), founded by the society of Cypriote Studies
Wide collection of Cypriot folk art of 19th and early 20th century, including wood-carved objects, tapestry, embroidery, pottery, national costumes and hand-woven materials.
National Struggle Museum
Address: Near Archbishopric, Plateia Arch. Kyprianou.
Tel.: (02) 30 45 50
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 8-14; 15-17
Documents, photos and other memorabilia of the 1955-1959 National Liberation Struggle.
Cyprus Postal Museum
Address: Agiou Savva St. 3B
Tel: (02) 30 47 11
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 10-17; Saturday 10-14
Collection of Cyprus stamps from 1800 onwards. These stamps, classified internationally amongst the bests, are of significant value in world philately.
Cyprus Jewelers' Museum
%vAddress: Praxippou 7-9 Lefkosia
Tel.: (02) 66 72 78
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 10-16:30
A display of traditional treasury from the end of 19th century including ornaments, religious items, silver utensils and old tools.
Museum of the History of Cypriote Coinage
Address: Stasinou 51. Agia Paraskevi, Bank of Cyprus Headquarters
Tel.: (02) 67 71 35
Opening hours: Monday 9-13: 15:30-18 (No afternoon in July and August); Tuesday-Friday 9-13
Permanent exhibition presenting the development of coinage of Cyprus from 6th century BC to the present day.
- Pros:Full of ancient and medieval remains. -A sellection of Venetian, English and Ottoman architecture!
- Cons:It can be very hot during July and especially August!
- In a nutshell:The 1.000 year old Capital, and the Only Divided City in the world!
BUFFET LUNCH/DINNER OPTIONS: There is such a variety of everything that you cannot try it all. Quality is excellent, the... more travel advice
The building itself is originally 15th century gothic with latter additions and it used to be a Monastery. It was... more travel advice
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Nicosia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Cyprus - twice..."
- "Nicosia ~ The last divided city"
- "The Last Divided City on Earth"
- " NICOSIA"
- "NICOSIA, Old Houses, Narrow Streets and History"
- "A city cut in half."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nicosia
- Hotels in Nicosia
- Transportation in Nicosia
- Nightlife in Nicosia
- Restaurants in Nicosia
- Shopping in Nicosia
- Warnings and Dangers in Nicosia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nicosia
- 15 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Nicosia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nicosia
Photos in NicosiaSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 185 reviews, 277 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 87 reviews, 284 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 77 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 43 reviews, 185 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Laconia Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (106)
Latest Nicosia hotel reviews
- Asty Hotel
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Cyprus Hilton
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Cleopatra Hotel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hilton Park Nicosia
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Europa Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Merit Lefkosa Hotel & Casino
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Golden Tulip Nicosia Hotel and Casino
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Almond Business Suites
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Classic Hotel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013