" NICOSIA :The Last Divided Capital in the World!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia by greekcypriot
Nicosia Travel Guide: 324 reviews and 786 photos
It is the only divided city in Europe after the invasion of the Turks in 1974.
The ‘green line’ is the United Nations buffer zone and divides the north part where Turks live with the south.
The city centre and very old with many shops and tourists love coming here because there is a variety of things to buy.
The old town is actually a picturesque fusion of 16th-century walls, pedestrian precincts, pavement cafes and squares.
When in Nicosia don’t miss visiting the Cyprus Museum. I was astound when I visited it 2 years ago.
The Cyprus Museum houses the best collection of arhaeological artefacts on the island, inclding a first century AD Roman statuette o Aphrodite of Soli.
Address: Mouseiou 1,
Tel.: (02) 86 58 64
Opening hours: Monday-Saturday 9-17; Sunday 10-13
Priceless and fascinating collections of Cypriot antiquities and treasures from Neolithic Age to Early Byzantine period.
OTHER MUSEUMS TO VISIT ARE:
Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia
Address: Ippokratus 17, near Laiki Geitonia,
Tel.: (02) 66 14 75
Opening hours: Tuesday-Sunday 10-16:30
The historical museum of Lefkosia revives life in the capital from ancient times to the present day.
Byzantine Museum and Art Galleries
Address: Archbishop Makarios III Foundation Cultural Center within the Archbishopric, Plateia Arch. Kiprianou.
Tel.: (02) 43 00 08
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 9-16:30; Saturday 9-13
Largest collection of icons on the island, covering the period from 9th to 18th century AD. The Art Galleries contain oil paintings, maps and lithographs.
Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus
Address: Plateia Arch. Kyprianou.
Tel.: (02) 43 25 78
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 9-17; Saturday 10-13
(Former: Cyprus Folk Art Museum), founded by the society of Cypriote Studies
Wide collection of Cypriot folk art of 19th and early 20th century, including wood-carved objects, tapestry, embroidery, pottery, national costumes and hand-woven materials.
National Struggle Museum
Address: Near Archbishopric, Plateia Arch. Kyprianou.
Tel.: (02) 30 45 50
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 8-14; 15-17
Documents, photos and other memorabilia of the 1955-1959 National Liberation Struggle.
Cyprus Postal Museum
Address: Agiou Savva St. 3B
Tel: (02) 30 47 11
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 10-17; Saturday 10-14
Collection of Cyprus stamps from 1800 onwards. These stamps, classified internationally amongst the bests, are of significant value in world philately.
Cyprus Jewelers' Museum
%vAddress: Praxippou 7-9 Lefkosia
Tel.: (02) 66 72 78
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 10-16:30
A display of traditional treasury from the end of 19th century including ornaments, religious items, silver utensils and old tools.
Museum of the History of Cypriote Coinage
Address: Stasinou 51. Agia Paraskevi, Bank of Cyprus Headquarters
Tel.: (02) 67 71 35
Opening hours: Monday 9-13: 15:30-18 (No afternoon in July and August); Tuesday-Friday 9-13
Permanent exhibition presenting the development of coinage of Cyprus from 6th century BC to the present day.
The capital Nicosia has Venetian city walls, Turkish baths, Greek ruins, Lusignan castles, hidden mosques, grand cathedrals, and cobblestone pedestrian streets bordered by 19th century houses with courtyards.
- Pros:Full of ancient and medieval remains. -A sellection of Venetian, English and Ottoman architecture!
- Cons:It can be very hot during July and especially August!
- In a nutshell:The 1.000 year old Capital, and the Only Divided City in the world!
I dropped in for only minutes to meet a friend who spent one night here recently. I thought to write a few lines about... more travel advice
I know this café for years and I always drop by for a cup of coffee when I am visiting Nicosia. They have a good... more travel advice
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Nicosia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Cyprus - twice..."
- " NICOSIA :The Last Divided Capital in the World!"
- "Nicosia ~ The last divided city"
- "The Last Divided City on Earth"
- "NICOSIA, Old Houses, Narrow Streets and History"
- "A city cut in half."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nicosia
- Hotels in Nicosia
- Transportation in Nicosia
- Nightlife in Nicosia
- Restaurants in Nicosia
- Shopping in Nicosia
- Warnings and Dangers in Nicosia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nicosia
- 29 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Nicosia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nicosia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: MAY DAY TODAY"
- updated a Nicosia Travel Page " NICOSIA :The Last Divided Capital in the World!"
- Uploaded a Photo to " NICOSIA :The Last Divided Capital in the World!"
- Wrote a Review Budget Accommodation for Short... in Nicosia Hotels
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Nicosia tips
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 132 reviews, 436 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 178 reviews, 278 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 98 reviews, 306 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 73 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue