"PALAICHORI, A picturesque and Historic Village" Palekhori by greekcypriot
Palekhori Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 40 photos
Palaichori is a very beautiful and picturesque village in the Troodos range at a hight of 900 metres above sea lever.
The village has many beautiful churches and a couple of museums, but the most important of all is to see the hideout of Grigoris Afxentiou.
This great hero was a true patriot, giving his life for the liberation of Cyprus from British colonial rule.
I have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Andrea and Maritsa Karaoli, the people who offered refuge to Afxentiou. They have given their house to the Council of Historic Memory of the Struggle 1955-59 (EOKA).
I have a thread below with the history and all details about this great hero who was a true patriot, giving his life for the liberation of Cyprus from British colonial rule.
Grigoris Afxentiou the Cypriot Hero found refuge in this village.
I have more information included in this guide, as well as many pictures that I have taken in my recent trip there.
- Pros:A real gem in the Troodos Mountains
- Cons:I cannot find a single con to write down.
- In a nutshell:More than just a gem. I believe besides tourists, every single Greek or Cypriot should visit this beautiful and so interesting historic village.
Get some panoramic views of the village from up the hill where the statue of the Cypriot Mother is. Gaze over the... more travel advice
The hideout was built on the instructions of Afxentiou himself in the summer of 1956, following Dhigeni's orders that... more travel advice
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Palekhori Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Palekhori
- 12 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Palekhori?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palekhori
- Posted in Travel Ephesus Forum "Re: Athens vs Ephesus"
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Palekhori travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Palekhori
- Uploaded a Photo to "Panoramic view of Palaichori"
- Wrote a Review Panoramic view of Palaichori in Palekhori Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Palekhori Travel Page "PALAICHORI, A picturesque and Historic Village"
Photos in PalekhoriSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 122 reviews, 373 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 174 reviews, 270 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 77 reviews, 333 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 89 reviews, 259 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 74 reviews, 208 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 62 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue