Pano Lefkara Favorite Tips by greekcypriot
Pano Lefkara Favorites: 4 reviews and 6 photos
An age- long gentleman in Lefkara!
Favorite thing: There is an age-long gentleman called Dimitros who is still going strong in Lefkara.
Although he holds a stick when he walks around, many seeing him walking so fast wander why he is actually carrying it.
He has 4 great grandchildren and 13 grandchildren. His daughter who is 70 or 71 used to be a great cook, and his late wife passed away some 10 years ago.
The climate in Lefkara is the best and this is one of the reasons why people live longer. This loveable person Mr. Dimitros used to be a farmer working in fields and using the donkey to move to the different places. Even today he still chops his wood for the winter. He is really active, eats plenty of vegetables but in reality he eats everything, and has at least 2 small glasses of Zivania every day.
(The local whisky as some people in Cyprus want to call it).
From what I have heard he is an amazing gentleman and I can’t wait to go and see him on this coming trip to Lefkara.
An authentic Lefkaritika lace
Favorite thing: ‘Lefkaritika lace’ is an openwork fabric, patterned with open holes in the work.
Holes are formed by removing the threads or cloth from a previously woven fabric. More often spaces are created as part of this art.
This popular lace-making is an ancient craft that was created the late 15th and early 16th centuries.
The authentic lace is created when a thread is loped, twisted or braided to other threads independently from a backing fabric.
In the past linen, silk, gold, or silver threads were used to make this. Now this lace is made with cotton thread, and I have read once that a couple of modern artists dared to make lace with a fine copper or silver wire instead of thread.
Gold A - The seal of the best quality! ????
Favorite thing: GOLD A is a master piece that few LACE makers achieve, -their knowledge of the stitches, consistency of stitches, the choice of linen, planning of the piece.
This is supposed to be the seal of the ‘authentic lefkaritika lace’.
However when you come to Lefkara you will come across many ladies sitting outside their door entrances, or in their gardens who will be working on a lace.
Do not step back, but knock on their doors and you will gladly be invited in. Spend a few minutes and watch these ladies how they work and create the lace.
One thing that I absolutely don't agree is the fact that ONLY the ladies in Kato Lefkara make the authentic lace. At least this is what I have read on the net. It is absolutely nonsense.
There are women who learned this art from their Grandmothers or Mothers. On another site I read that women in the villages around Lefkara, villages like Kato Drys or Skarinou, make lace but it is not authentic. I can assure you that every lady who is creating these designs on the Irish linen is 'authentic lefkaritiko' work of art. Of course it depends on the quality and the design of the product. THIS makes the difference.
On another tip I am going to write about the fake lace that one can find in the market.
The Municipality Office in Lefkara
Favorite thing: If you happen to need any information, to get any leaflets, or anything,
you can go to the Municipality Office which is opposite the Primary school.
More Reviews (27)
- See All Larnaca to Lefkara and backwards
- See All “Deserves to rank #1 in Lefkara..loved...
- See All The Cypriot Delights Workshop
- See All The beauty of the Lefkara Architecture!
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Pano Lefkara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Famous for its handmade lace ‘Lefkaritika’"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pano Lefkara
- Hotels in Pano Lefkara
- Transportation in Pano Lefkara
- Restaurants in Pano Lefkara
- Shopping in Pano Lefkara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pano Lefkara
- 31 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Pano Lefkara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pano Lefkara
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: CHEAPEST WAY TO GET FROM..."
- Commented on one of Avieira67's Pano Lefkara tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Silverware of Lefkara"
- updated a Pano Lefkara Travel Page "Famous for its handmade lace ‘Lefkaritika’"
- Wrote a Review Larnaca to Lefkara and backwards in Pano Lefkara Transportation
Photos in Pano LefkaraSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 129 reviews, 405 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 177 reviews, 274 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 90 reviews, 262 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 74 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 63 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue