Troodos Off The Beaten Path Tips by greekcypriot Top 5 Page for this destination
Troodos Off The Beaten Path: 8 reviews and 16 photos
3 ladies with the VTourist flag in Platres
It is a very interesting walk towards the fall but depending on the season you should be fitted with the appropriate clothes and shoes.
At Psilo Dendro take the concrete path to the left of the restaurant and walk for about 100 or 150 metres to the start of the trail. Don’t turn left like I did....!
At the wooden marker board, continue up the forest track towards the famous waterfall. The track is straightforward to follow but of course there will be times when you will have to cross the Kyros river before you hear the waterfall sound.
Be careful not to slip in the water. If it is summer you won’t mind stepping in the water, but if it is winter then it will be a problem to wet your feet.
When you reach the waterfall there are some benches where you can sit and rest and admire nature, and be sure to have your camera along.
The distance is not more than 2 kms and it is really worth walking out there.
Agios Nikolas tis Stegis in Kakopetria
About 5 klms from the village of Kakopetria. Visit this very ancient church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis which is of great archaeological importance.
An 11th century church, and UNESCO has included the church of "St Nicholas of the Roof" in the list of Worldwide Cultural heritage, because of its special value.
Phone: +357 229 22 999
Palaichori village in the Troodos range
Palaichori is a very beautiful and picturesque village in the Troodos range at a hight of 900 metres above sea lever.
The village has many beautiful churches and a couple of museums, but the most important of all is to see the hideout of Grigoris Afxentiou.
This great hero was a true patriot, giving his life for the liberation of Cyprus from British colonial rule.
I have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Andrea and Maritsa Karaoli, the people who offered refuge to Afxentiou. They have given their house to the Council of Historic Memory of the Struggle 1955-59 (EOKA).
I have a thread below with the history and all details about this great hero who was a true patriot, giving his life for the liberation of Cyprus from British colonial rule.
The Visitor Centre in Troodos
I am up the Troodos square, and I am urge to visit this centre which I had no idea that existed.
When I come here however I find it closed because during April and May on Saturdays it remains closed.
This centre is situated approximately 200 m west of the Troodos Square. I followed the paved trail .
It has a exhibition gallery and in a way it informs the visitor about the importance and character of the Park. A visitor can also find here a collection of butterflies, wood samples, fossils, and much more.
Other Contact: e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 00357 25420144
THE VILLAGE OF KALOPANAGIOTIS
The picturesque village of Kalopanagiotis is known for its healthy sulphur springs and for its church of Agios loannis Lambadistis.
The Church of Agios Ioannis Lambadistis and Byzantine Museum
Originally a monastery, today’s church of Agios Ioannis Lambadistis is a complex of three churches: Agios Irakleidios, Agios Ioannis Lambadistis and a Latin chapel – all under a single pitched roof. The church is a listed UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The church of Agios Irakleidios was built in the 11th century while its frescoes date to the 13th and 16th century. The iconostasis is particularly interesting, covered with gargoyles, including a heraldic Lusignan lion and Byzantine eagle.
The church of Agios Ioannis Lambadistis was built in 1731. The saint’s tomb, which dates to the 12th century, can be found under the narrow north-eastern arch and the saint’s skull lies in a niche. The icon of Lambadistis dates to 1543. The Latin Chapel contains the most complete series of Italo-Byzantine paintings in Cyprus.
More Reviews (50)
- See All A “Small village” in the...
- See All “Cyprus-Argentinian meze, but Cypriot...
- Be careful when driving a scooter!
- See All Horse Riding in the Troodos Square
- See All Pharmacies and drug stores!
- See All Cypriot Popular Products
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Troodos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Troodos range is Beautiful All Year Round!"
- "A Journey Into The Unknown"
- "The Troodos mountains"
- "Cyprus's highest peaks!"
- "Troodos Mountains & Area"
- "Troodos Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Troodos
- Hotels in Troodos
- Transportation in Troodos
- Restaurants in Troodos
- Shopping in Troodos
- Warnings and Dangers in Troodos
- See All...
Explore the World
- Silvermines Hotels
- North Fremantle Hotels
- Lithuania Hotels
- Pulau Mantang Hotels
- Kalmar Län
- Port Clinton
- Cagraray Island
- Chichester Off The Beaten Path
- Vintgar gorge
- Penang Off The Beaten Path
- Dominican Republic Off The Beaten Path
- Hoek van Holland Off The Beaten Path
- Province of Tarlac Off The Beaten Path
- Sochi Off The Beaten Path
- Wexford Off The Beaten Path
- Zadar Off The Beaten Path
- Kirkenes Off The Beaten Path
- Moped Rental
- Auckland Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Troodos
- 55 Reviews
- 137 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Troodos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Troodos
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Have you been to the National..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kalopanayiotis village for its SPA Springs!"
- Wrote a Review Kalopanayiotis village for its SPA Springs! in Troodos Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Troodos
- updated a Troodos Travel Page "The Troodos range is Beautiful All Year Round!"
Photos in TroodosSee All Photos (137)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 185 reviews, 277 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 87 reviews, 284 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 77 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 48 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Prefecture of Laconia Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos