"PROTARAS AND THE FIG TREE BAY POPULAR BEACH" Top 5 Page for this destination Protaras by greekcypriot
Protaras Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 157 photos
Protaras beaches are among the most beautiful in Cyprus ….if not the very best in the Mediterranean! Back-to back hotels line the waterfront, with hundreds of other smaller or bigger hotels, restaurants, beach bars and shops scattered all over. It is a touristy resort for sure and it is still charming and very inviting, a resort worth visiting. Personally I feel lucky to be a Cypriot and to have the opportunity to come here wherever I feel like coming.
On the north you will find some isolated coves bitten from the coastline, and if you move 8 kilometres to the south you will come to Ayia Napa, -the other coastal resort, the 24-hour party Mecca. I plan a visit there when hotels open again. You see, the majority of hotels close the end of October and open again the first week of May. There are very few open in winter but I don’t recommend coming here then. I have had a very bad experience when I decided to take the bus from Larnaca and go to Ayia Napa for some photos. It was like a haunted city with just a few people in the streets and all restaurants, hotels and pubs under renovation. I wanted to leave as soon as I had my photos taken, but I had to wait for 3 hours for the next bus to Larnaca.
Of course it is not like nobody is here, it is just too quiet. I do realize there are people who seek this, who would come and spend their holidays in a hotel, have long walks in the nearly empty resort and still feel happy. I just mention this as I don’t want to be blamed and have people come here and then be disappointed. Of course star hotels offer the best facilities and service so I believe there is at least something to keep busy and excited. Having a massage for instance at the hotel’s Spa, or spoiling in a Sauna, a Jacuzzi or a Steam room! But don’t blame me if you come here and expect other than what I mentioned above!
Sunbathing is coming first in visitors’ agendas. There is much excitement on the beaches, with a variety of water sports to choose from. I mentioned that on another entry as well, and families with children coming here should count on visiting the aquarium in Paralimni and the Fun Parks in the area.
Local buses can drive you to Paralimni or Ayia Napa or even Larnaca for just a euro, so I also urge people coming here to visit the beautiful Church of Paralimni, as well as the Ancient Monastery of Ayia Napa, and then have a stroll towards the small port and marina with the many fish taverns and bars. These buses pass every 20 minutes and they have become tourists’ best friends! There are so many buses passing by that you can move here and there with very little avoiding spending money on taxi rides.
Cypriots are very fond of Protaras and you will see many coming in August when they have their holidays. The resort is favored byBritish and Germans as well as Russians, and of course other nationalities but the first three I mentioned is the majority. For me the best months to come here is the end of May, September and October.
Although Protaras is billed as a predominantly ‘family-oriented’ destination, it is also a resort that knows well how to party. Of course if you are hoping for a sound night’s sleep it is essential to check that the hotel you have booked is not next door to one of the many bars or clubs. Otherwise this might spoil your holidays and tempers can quickly get frayed.
Every time I visit Cyprus in summer I want to spend 4 or 5 days at this predominantly tourist resort with its lovely sandy beaches.
Protaras is a more calm resort compared to Ayia Napa. It is preferred mostly by families, and it is more popular to Cypriots who usually take their vacation and come here to relax and have fun.
During the summer months, starting middle of May till the end of September which is the high season on the island, many tourists come here, both young but also families with children. The waters are shallow and warm.
Protaras is situated between Cape Greco and the village of Paralimni, just 10 minutes drive from Ayia Napa.
THE FIG TREE BAY is the most famous area in Protaras that stretches over 10 miles of sandy beach.
I compare the sea here like the beaches of the Carribean islands, with its crystal turquoise waters and white sandy beaches.
Many years ago when we came for the first time to spend a week at Protaras I had the idea that the Fig Tree Bay was just a small area. Last year however when we came here for a week with a choir in May, I had the chance to walk further out by the coast of Fig Tree Bay and I was happily surprised that this beautiful sandy beach stretches out for 10 miles.
I felt so happy because it was as if I had discovered a new beach!
It offers a good choice of shops, taverns, nightclubs and bars, and I highly recommend it to tourists. If it is summer don't leave without visiting either Protaras or Ayia Napa.
There are amazing coasts in the south of the Fig Tree bay ideal for snorkeling and not only....!
- Pros:Amazed with the crystal clear turquoise waters of Protaras
- Cons:I am sad because during winter it looks like a haunted village with very few hotels open and nothing much to do besides enjoying the hotels' amenities.
- In a nutshell:Don't leave Cyprus in summer without spending at least 5 nights in Protaras.
I recommend Taxis ONLY IF you have not an alternative. Taxis are extremely expensive throughout the island. During my... more travel advice
The owner, the little I have seen him seems extremely sociable. He is professional with what he is doing, he is open... more travel advice
- See All Authentic Greek Cuisine – A good choice!
- See All Precqution!Weever's poisonous spines!
- See All The Fig Tree Bay beach
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Protaras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PROTARAS AND THE FIG TREE BAY POPULAR BEACH"
- "A Purpose Built Resort"
- "Great family place"
- "Our first trip to Cyprus"
- "Enjoy Protaras bay!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Protaras
- Hotels in Protaras
- Transportation in Protaras
- Nightlife in Protaras
- Restaurants in Protaras
- Shopping in Protaras
- Warnings and Dangers in Protaras
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Protaras
- 44 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Protaras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Protaras
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How do you gauge what is an..."
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Protaras tips
- Wrote a Review Comet Taxi" A Reliable one! in Protaras Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Say “Yia Mas” and leave the rest to George!”"
- updated a Protaras Travel Page "PROTARAS AND THE FIG TREE BAY POPULAR BEACH"
- Uploaded a Video to Protaras
Photos in ProtarasSee All Photos (129)
Videos in ProtarasSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 125 reviews, 402 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 178 reviews, 278 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 98 reviews, 306 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 73 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue