"PROTARAS AND THE FIG TREE BAY POPULAR BEACH" Top 5 Page for this destination Protaras by greekcypriot

Protaras Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 157 photos

THE CARIBBEAN-LIKE BEACH OF PROTARAS

Protaras beaches are among the most beautiful in Cyprus ….if not the very best in the Mediterranean! Back-to back hotels line the waterfront, with hundreds of other smaller or bigger hotels, restaurants, beach bars and shops scattered all over. It is a touristy resort for sure and it is still charming and very inviting, a resort worth visiting. Personally I feel lucky to be a Cypriot and to have the opportunity to come here wherever I feel like coming.

On the north you will find some isolated coves bitten from the coastline, and if you move 8 kilometres to the south you will come to Ayia Napa, -the other coastal resort, the 24-hour party Mecca. I plan a visit there when hotels open again. You see, the majority of hotels close the end of October and open again the first week of May. There are very few open in winter but I don’t recommend coming here then. I have had a very bad experience when I decided to take the bus from Larnaca and go to Ayia Napa for some photos. It was like a haunted city with just a few people in the streets and all restaurants, hotels and pubs under renovation. I wanted to leave as soon as I had my photos taken, but I had to wait for 3 hours for the next bus to Larnaca.

Of course it is not like nobody is here, it is just too quiet. I do realize there are people who seek this, who would come and spend their holidays in a hotel, have long walks in the nearly empty resort and still feel happy. I just mention this as I don’t want to be blamed and have people come here and then be disappointed. Of course star hotels offer the best facilities and service so I believe there is at least something to keep busy and excited. Having a massage for instance at the hotel’s Spa, or spoiling in a Sauna, a Jacuzzi or a Steam room! But don’t blame me if you come here and expect other than what I mentioned above!

Sunbathing is coming first in visitors’ agendas. There is much excitement on the beaches, with a variety of water sports to choose from. I mentioned that on another entry as well, and families with children coming here should count on visiting the aquarium in Paralimni and the Fun Parks in the area.

Local buses can drive you to Paralimni or Ayia Napa or even Larnaca for just a euro, so I also urge people coming here to visit the beautiful Church of Paralimni, as well as the Ancient Monastery of Ayia Napa, and then have a stroll towards the small port and marina with the many fish taverns and bars. These buses pass every 20 minutes and they have become tourists’ best friends! There are so many buses passing by that you can move here and there with very little avoiding spending money on taxi rides.

Cypriots are very fond of Protaras and you will see many coming in August when they have their holidays. The resort is favored byBritish and Germans as well as Russians, and of course other nationalities but the first three I mentioned is the majority. For me the best months to come here is the end of May, September and October.

Although Protaras is billed as a predominantly ‘family-oriented’ destination, it is also a resort that knows well how to party. Of course if you are hoping for a sound night’s sleep it is essential to check that the hotel you have booked is not next door to one of the many bars or clubs. Otherwise this might spoil your holidays and tempers can quickly get frayed.

THE CARIBBEAN-LIKE BEACH OF PROTARAS

Every time I visit Cyprus in summer I want to spend 4 or 5 days at this predominantly tourist resort with its lovely sandy beaches.
Protaras is a more calm resort compared to Ayia Napa. It is preferred mostly by families, and it is more popular to Cypriots who usually take their vacation and come here to relax and have fun.

During the summer months, starting middle of May till the end of September which is the high season on the island, many tourists come here, both young but also families with children. The waters are shallow and warm.
Protaras is situated between Cape Greco and the village of Paralimni, just 10 minutes drive from Ayia Napa.

THE FIG TREE BAY is the most famous area in Protaras that stretches over 10 miles of sandy beach.
I compare the sea here like the beaches of the Carribean islands, with its crystal turquoise waters and white sandy beaches.

Many years ago when we came for the first time to spend a week at Protaras I had the idea that the Fig Tree Bay was just a small area. Last year however when we came here for a week with a choir in May, I had the chance to walk further out by the coast of Fig Tree Bay and I was happily surprised that this beautiful sandy beach stretches out for 10 miles.
I felt so happy because it was as if I had discovered a new beach!

It offers a good choice of shops, taverns, nightclubs and bars, and I highly recommend it to tourists. If it is summer don't leave without visiting either Protaras or Ayia Napa.

Clear Waters

There are amazing coasts in the south of the Fig Tree bay ideal for snorkeling and not only....!

• Pros:Amazed with the crystal clear turquoise waters of Protaras
  • Cons:I am sad because during winter it looks like a haunted village with very few hotels open and nothing much to do besides enjoying the hotels' amenities.
  • In a nutshell:Don't leave Cyprus in summer without spending at least 5 nights in Protaras.
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Hello, Popi! It's another great travel page you have created! Well done !)

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Victor THANK you that you dropped by my pages and rated my tips as well.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

This looks like a nice sunny place to plant roots on the sand and get a cool drink. The airfare prices sounded attractive from Greece. Good description of the sites-but no marriage off beaten path; I beat down that path before

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Useful tips and fine photos of this beautiful place! I continue to be especially impressed by your detailed and informative hotel reviews.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Odessa Hotel seems to be great!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Hi Popi! The water looks beautiful here,such a pretty colour and so clear. Lots of nice useful souvenirs too, rather like the sound of the reed baskets. Nice page!

• May 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Protaras is just wonderful!

• Apr 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM

It seems to be a beautiful summer resort.Very helpful tips.

• Apr 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Thank you.

• Apr 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Great destination, and very helpful tips. Protaras has the 3rd BEST beach in Europe for the year 2011.

• Apr 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Gia su Popi. Interesting info.

greekcypriot

“Live Everyday Like Your Last”

Badges & Stats in Protaras

Have you been to Protaras?

Videos in Protaras