"SERRES in Northern Greece" Prefecture of Sérrai by greekcypriot
Prefecture of Sérrai Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 309 photos
The city is in Eastern Macedonia, about forty-three miles northeast of Salonica in the plain of Strymon, on the last outposts of the mountains which bound it on the north-east.
The city possessed great strategic importance under the Byzantine Empire in the wars against the Serviani and Bulgars. It was captured by the latter in 1206 and recaptured by the Emperor John Dukas in 1245. Later the Servian, Kral Stephen Dushan, captured it in turn, was crowned there im 1345, established a Court on the model of that of Byzantium, and married the daughter of Andronicus II.
The city carries on a brisk trade in textile and agricultural products. At first Serrae was a suffragan of Thessalonica, remaining so probably until the eighth century, when Eastern Illyricum was removed from Roman jurisdiction and attached to the Patriarchate of Constantinople. At the end of the next century it had become a metropolitan see without suffragans, and such is still its status for the Greeks.
The famed city of Serrhai was destroyed when the Bulgarians set it on fire as they began their retreat in 1913. Its Byzantine monuments were consumed by the flames, with the sole exception of the three-aisled 11th century basilica of Ayioi Theodoroi, now reconstructed, which hints at the former wealth and culture of the second most important city of Macedonia after Thessalonike.
The sturdy, solid walls of the acropolis still bear witness to the size of medieval Serrhai. The town has a significant place in the history of the 12th and later centuries. It attained its greatest importance in the 14th century during the conflict between Byzantium and the Serbian state; in 1345 Serrhai was captured by the Serb ruler Stefan Dusan.
In 1371 the then ruler of the city, the Serb John Ugliesa, was defeated in the battle of Maritsa (Evros River) in his attempt to uphold the rights of the entire Orthodox world against the Turks.
Sérres (Greek: Σέρρες, older form: Σέρραι Sérrai) is a city in Macedonia, Greece. It is situated in a fertile plain at an elevation of about 70 m, some 24 km northeast of the Strymon river and 69 km north-east of the Macedonian capital, Thessaloniki. The Rhodope Mountains rise to the north and east of the city. The city is the capital of the prefecture of Serres and is situated in the Central Macedonia periphery. Its population was 56,145 in 2001.
- Pros:A very interesting place to visit.
We visited this restaurant while on a 5 day trip to Serres and the quality of the food is high. The restaurant received... more travel advice
The creator of this beautiful resort Mr. Gaidatzis Aristidis has a beautiful restaurant and it is not only that. He can... more travel advice
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Prefecture of Sérrai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SERRES in Northern Greece"
- "Monastery of Saint John the Forerrunner (Part I)"
- "Prefecture of Serres"
- "Serres prefecture"
- "Kerkini Lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Sérrai
- Hotels in Prefecture of Sérrai
- Transportation in Prefecture of Sérrai
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Sérrai
- Shopping in Prefecture of Sérrai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Sérrai
- 15 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Prefecture of Sérrai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Sérrai
Photos in Prefecture of SérraiSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 183 reviews, 272 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 75 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 32 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 66 reviews, 88 photos
- Skyros Island Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (85)
Top Prefecture of Sérrai hotels
- Amfipolis Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 18 Photos