Nairobi Things to Do Tips by greekcypriot Top 5 Page for this destination
Nairobi Things to Do: 143 reviews and 255 photos
The Rift Valley
A day trip to Lake Magadi to visit Olorgesailie in The Rift Valley for its prehistoric campsite.
You will find a great variety of birds here.
The shallow pools here prove to be therapeutic, and you can camp in the free campsite next to the springs.
Directions: About 115 kms south west of Nairobi.
Work of Art made of Glass
Kitengela is a small community supporting local artists and disabled artisans.
It is the village that I visited where the Academy of the orphans study and live at the same time.
If you happen to come to this poor community, ask to be taken to these workshops here.
Recycled glass is made out to different artistic designs.
If here, why not ask to visit the Kitengela Academy with the 150 Orphans.....the orphanage that I came here to help and teach!
Directions: Access is by car (private or hire) about an hour's drive...even more if there is traffic, south east of Nairobi, but allow the best part of a day to visit.
The National Museum Garden in Nairobi
Native plants is what you can see here which are really beautiful and interesting, and you can enter this garden museum for free.
The National Park in Nairobi
A good opportunity for a Safari here in this National park. The ride takes about 4 hours but because it cost about 100$, I decided to avoid it. Instead we sat at the restaurant for lunch because I thought to give this extra money to the poor.
For people though who have never been on a safari, this 4 hour safari is worth it!
You can see about 50 different species of mammals.
Directions: A few km from the city centre.
Go out and look for the Kenyan art and craft.
I bought mine however from the duty free shops in Nairobi because I was on a mission trip and did not have time for purchasing anything myself.
Mostly they are wooden crafts or things they create with colourful beads.
The camel festival
The international camel festival of August.
Many countries participate with both amatueur and professional races.
All this takes place at Maralal, 4 kms south of Maralal town on the Nyahururu road.
A Massai school I visited
The most famous tribe in the whole of Africa. Mostly shepherds.
I had the chance to visit a Massai school while in Kenya and spoke to Massai techers.
The swoveto area
Soweto is one of the poorest neighbourhoods in Nairobi.
Safe if you pass by car.
It is the place where you get a full picture of what poverty means!
You will see happy and smily faces, people here are satisfied with what they have.
You will appreciate what God gave you and your families....and probably become an even better person.
Watch how people communicate here, how simple life is.
You see meat hanging through small windows and you think that it will be bad by the next day.
However this meat will be purchased for sure till the evening comes.
If you want to take photos or a video do it without being noticed behind the window of the car.
I am sure you would not want your camera to be picked or your arm hurt.
People will be tempted if they see your digital or video camera in this area. So be alert and respect what you see and don't call out!
A slub neighbourhood
Kibera, the largest slum in the capital, and you have to be careful here.
You can pass only by car as it can be quite dangerous!
Most of the people living here lack access to basic services like electricity and running water.
Directions: Located roughly 5 kilometres (3 miles) southwest of the city centre of Nairobi, in an area of 2.5 sq. kms.
Uhuru Park is a green reserve park amidst vast high-rise development in the heart of Nairobi-Kenya. It boarders: Ngong road (North) Haillesellasie Avenue (South) Uhuru Highway (East) and Nyerere road (West).
We came here on a Sunday for a short walk in the beautiful gardens.
More Reviews (68)
- See All Is Your Safari Company a KATO Member??
- Just Don't Go Here !
- See All Avoid driving at night!
- See All Car-Jacked or Held up.....!
- See All Rated 1st in Nairobi
- See All Nairobi Snake Park
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Nairobi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY MISSION TRIP TO KENYA"
- "Nairobi is friendly town"
- "Make this your gateway to East Africa!"
- "Cool Water...pretty cool city."
- "A juxtaposition of sharp contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nairobi
- Hotels in Nairobi
- Transportation in Nairobi
- Nightlife in Nairobi
- Restaurants in Nairobi
- Shopping in Nairobi
- Warnings and Dangers in Nairobi
- See All...
Explore the World
- Central & Eastern Thailand
- Ko Lawa Yai Hotels
- Rivière-des-Prairies Hotels
- State of Punjab Hotels
- Okazaki Hotels
Badges & Stats in Nairobi
- 81 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Nairobi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nairobi
- Posted in Travel Ayia Napa Forum "Re: Ayia Napa in Christmas"
- updated a Nairobi Travel Page "MY MISSION TRIP TO KENYA"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't carry much money with you!"
- Wrote a Review Is Your Safari Company a KATO Member?? in Nairobi Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Video to Nairobi
- Commented on one of croisbeauty's Nairobi travel pages
Photos in NairobiSee All Photos (99)
Videos in NairobiSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 185 reviews, 277 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 87 reviews, 284 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 77 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Prefecture of Laconia Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Protaras Intro, 45 reviews, 130 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (106)
Latest Nairobi hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Nairobi
- 235 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Norfolk Hotel
- 336 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Heron Hotel
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Safari Park Hotel Nairobi
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Tribe - the Village Market Hotel
- 334 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Lukenya Getaway
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Sarova Panafric Nairobi
- 325 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Oakwood Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
- 372 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort
- 149 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Voi Safari Lodge Nairobi
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- InterContinental Nairobi
- 392 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Jacaranda Hotel
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Hotel Greton
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2009
- Meridian Court Hotel
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Giraffe Center- 17 Reviews, 29 Photos
- David Sheldrick Animal Trust - Elephant Orphanage- 13 Reviews, 18 Photos
- National Park- 21 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Uhuru Park- 5 Reviews, 18 Photos
- National Museum- 9 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Karen Blixen Museum- 7 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Lake Nakuru National Park- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Masai Mara National Park- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Kenyatta- 3 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Safari- 4 Reviews, 6 Photos
See All Nairobi Things to Do