"CHESME THE FORMER GREEK VILLAGE OF ERYTHRAE" Top 5 Page for this destination Cesme by greekcypriot
Cesme Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 185 photos
After breakfast we visit “Ildiri” which was another Greek Ionian city called
“Erytrai” built around the 11th century BC.
At first I thought that we would spend one night with our friends and leave early the following morning, but we were told that the ferry from Cesme to Chios does not leave earlier than 6 o’clock in the afternoon. So we are having 2 whole days with the company of our friends.
We are guests visiting our British friends, David and Elaine who live here.
David is waiting for us at the port. (Hugs and Kisses)……! We get in the car leaving behind the rather reserved resort centre of Cesme, and David wants to show us a bit of the coastal area and his little village “Ciftlikkoy” before driving us home. Life here is easygoing, with a few small shops, a bakery, some restaurants overlooking the Aegean, and a picturesque harbour. No wonder that our friends have picked this place !!
This place here is very popular and the old town (Alacati) still has Greek houses built before Turkey was founded.
Latest settlements started the 18th century. Ancient Erythrae was renowned for the worship of Hercules.
We climb up the Theatre steps to the Acropolis to see the remains of a Greek Church and a former Temple of Apollo.
The village is renowned for the worship of Hercules.
We have some spectacular views over the Aegean bays and islands.
We drive next to the popular beach of Ilica with white sand and lovely beaches.
- Pros:Amazing beaches
- Cons:I did not find any.
- In a nutshell:I am hurt seeing Greek villages in the hands of Turks !
Bargaining is a must in Turkey. I would advise that you do practice this (sport). You never know. You can bargain on... more travel advice
If you wish to travel to Turkey and visit Izmir it is sure that you will want to explore Cesme as well. It is not very... more travel advice
- See All A Beach Club-Restaurant that will amaze...
- Beware when you buy Jewels in Turkey
- Carpets and souvenirs
- See All Local excellent food.
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Cesme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHESME THE FORMER GREEK VILLAGE OF ERYTHRAE"
- "Cesme Peninsula"
- "Cesme, a resort at the aegean coast"
- "Summer in Cesme"
- "Cesme is heaven!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cesme
- Hotels in Cesme
- Transportation in Cesme
- Nightlife in Cesme
- Restaurants in Cesme
- Shopping in Cesme
- Warnings and Dangers in Cesme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cesme
- 18 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Cesme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cesme
Photos in CesmeSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 115 reviews, 355 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 185 reviews, 277 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 87 reviews, 284 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 77 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 66 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 43 reviews, 185 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Laconia Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 55 reviews, 137 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 99 photos
Latest Cesme hotel reviews