"CHESME THE FORMER GREEK VILLAGE OF ERYTHRAE" Top 5 Page for this destination Cesme by greekcypriot

Cesme Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 185 photos

Two Busy Days of Touring in Cesme

ILDIRI
After breakfast we visit “Ildiri” which was another Greek Ionian city called
“Erytrai” built around the 11th century BC.

At first I thought that we would spend one night with our friends and leave early the following morning, but we were told that the ferry from Cesme to Chios does not leave earlier than 6 o’clock in the afternoon. So we are having 2 whole days with the company of our friends.

We are guests visiting our British friends, David and Elaine who live here.
David is waiting for us at the port. (Hugs and Kisses)……! We get in the car leaving behind the rather reserved resort centre of Cesme, and David wants to show us a bit of the coastal area and his little village “Ciftlikkoy” before driving us home. Life here is easygoing, with a few small shops, a bakery, some restaurants overlooking the Aegean, and a picturesque harbour. No wonder that our friends have picked this place !!

Erythrae
This place here is very popular and the old town (Alacati) still has Greek houses built before Turkey was founded.
Latest settlements started the 18th century. Ancient Erythrae was renowned for the worship of Hercules.

Erythrae - Greek Village

We climb up the Theatre steps to the Acropolis to see the remains of a Greek Church and a former Temple of Apollo.
The village is renowned for the worship of Hercules.
We have some spectacular views over the Aegean bays and islands.

Ilica Beach

We drive next to the popular beach of Ilica with white sand and lovely beaches.

• Pros:Amazing beaches
  • Cons:I did not find any.
  • In a nutshell:I am hurt seeing Greek villages in the hands of Turks !
  • Last visit to Cesme: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2010

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Hello, Popi! I see Chesme is a worthy destination in Turkey!~ Thanks for your interesting and detailed story!~

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Thanks for an interesting insight into my summer holiday destination this year.

• Jan 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Thanks for sharing your tips. Cesme is very popular and I loved your photos with the dishes and the Turkish cuisine.

• Jan 21, 2011 at 6:01 AM

The trip to anywhere is much more interesting if you find local friends who can show you around. Good work.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2011 at 3:43 AM

I enjoyed reading your tips on Cesme. Like a virtual tour. Thanks for sharing. SL :)

• Dec 21, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Cesme is in my "must visit places" Nice guide. Thanks

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Looks like lovely beaches here on Cesme. Nice that you had some local friends to show you around.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Beautiful photos of this lovely town and beaches. Good that you were able to visit your British friends there.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Popi, do you know which village near here, was called 'Meli?' It was a Greek village before the transfer of populations. I'm looking for its location. Nice tips. janet

• Angelo33's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Ilica beach seems wonderful. Great guide.

greekcypriot

“Live Everyday Like Your Last”

Badges & Stats in Cesme