"Impressions & Tips from Doha" Top 5 Page for this destination Doha by greekcypriot
Doha Travel Guide: 580 reviews and 1,759 photos
I just returned from Doha two days ago and after a stay of 2 weeks and I never thought that I would like to be back a second time. It is probably that I have not had the opportunity to see everything I hoped to see but I can admit I came across so many friendly people saw smiling faces that made our stay exceptional. Of course this hospitality does not come from locals. On the contrary on this first trip I found them arrogant and quite selfish. They only care for themselves and they show no respect to nobody as they move around or have others drive for them. Their children are spoilt.
Europeans, Turks and Asians are the ones who make the difference here and I found lots of lovely people from the Arab countries Egypt, Cairo, Alexandria and Jordan.
Doha has a mix of western and Arabic culture and I have to admit, it is a city UNLIKE TO ANY OTHER I have visited so far.
Doha’s main focus is not tourism and you hardly see any tourist around, a city seeing huge amounts of growth causing a boom in the real estate sector. Much of Qatar’s oil and natural gas wealth is visible in Doha –the economic centre of Qatar which is currently experiencing a very large boom with the city developing rapidly. The locals love their Sheikh who is working on a modernization program.
GEOGRAPHY: Qatar is a small peninsula located in the east of Arabia. The country borders the Persian Gulf and Saudi Arabia. It is situated in a strategic location near major petroleum deposits. The terrain of Qatar is mainly flat and rocky. The most common features include coastal salt pans, massive sand dunes surrounding Khawr al Udayd (Inland Sea) and elevated limestone formations (the Dukhan anticline) under which the Dukhan oil field lies.
CLIMATE: Qatar weather is characterized as being hot and dry. It remains almost the same throughout the year, except for a few winter months (November – May), when the temperatures get moderate and can drop as low as 5 C (41 F). Summer (May – September) temperatures can sometimes reach 50 C (122 F) and they are usually very hot, dry and humid. Rainfall is common only in winter; it is negligible in other seasons. Sudden, violent dust storms are occasionally present on the peninsula.
Sep 3 Independence Day
Sep 10 Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) (4 days)
Nov 17 Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice)
Dec 18 National Day
I have collected much information which I would love to share with you and gradually I will be building my new Travel Guide which I hope you find interesting and helpful especially if you plan having a trip out there either for business, (tourism) or out of curiosity!
Excited that I am visitng this country a year later and this time my stay is for 3 weeks.
I am given the opportunity to see and do things that I missed on the last trip and I believe my Doha Guide is more fullfilled by now.
I am back already, the trip and stay was amazing and if asked, I do want to visit again.
I even had the opportunity to chat for a while with some Qatari ladies, even taken a photo with one of them. I found them sweet and friendly....at least the ones I write about!
If I manage to return though I would try to come closer to locals....something hard but this is something that I really want to do, mostly out of curiosity.
I believe the tips on my guide will give you an idea of what to expect when coming here.
Handy for everyone, especially the businessmen as there are tips and extended reviews of several 5* hotes and Signature restaurants that I have stayed at and dined.
- Pros:Nice for a short stay and only during the peak season
- Cons:Not that friendly locals!
- In a nutshell:Growing beautifully so rapidly...I want to visit again.
Hiring Taxis are a pathetic situation in Qatar. To book a legal taxi: Tel: (+974) 4458 8888 Usually when you need them... more travel advice
The fashion house of Rita Pateroni from Athens Greece is now available at the brand new boutique at the Pearl of... more travel advice
- See All The Film City of Qatar -A Bizarre site!
- See All Doha Golf Club -An Oasis of...
- See All Clothing should not offend Muslim...
- See All Excellent Italian Cuisine, Impeccable...
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Doha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Impressions & Tips from Doha"
- "Doha, Qatar"
- "Capitol City"
- "Doha - The Big Tree"
- "Doha- My home away from home"
- "dubai sleepy sister is waking up"
- "A Day or Two in Doha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Doha
- Hotels in Doha
- Transportation in Doha
- Nightlife in Doha
- Restaurants in Doha
- Shopping in Doha
- Warnings and Dangers in Doha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Doha
- 78 Reviews
- 334 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Doha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doha
Videos in DohaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 129 reviews, 405 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 177 reviews, 274 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 90 reviews, 262 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 74 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 63 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue