"Impressions & Tips from Doha" Top 5 Page for this destination Doha by greekcypriot

Doha Travel Guide: 563 reviews and 1,702 photos

Introduction and my Impressions

I just returned from Doha two days ago and after a stay of 2 weeks and I never thought that I would like to be back a second time. It is probably that I have not had the opportunity to see everything I hoped to see but I can admit I came across so many friendly people saw smiling faces that made our stay exceptional. Of course this hospitality does not come from locals. On the contrary on this first trip I found them arrogant and quite selfish. They only care for themselves and they show no respect to nobody as they move around or have others drive for them. Their children are spoilt.
Europeans, Turks and Asians are the ones who make the difference here and I found lots of lovely people from the Arab countries Egypt, Cairo, Alexandria and Jordan.

Doha has a mix of western and Arabic culture and I have to admit, it is a city UNLIKE TO ANY OTHER I have visited so far.

Doha’s main focus is not tourism and you hardly see any tourist around, a city seeing huge amounts of growth causing a boom in the real estate sector. Much of Qatar’s oil and natural gas wealth is visible in Doha –the economic centre of Qatar which is currently experiencing a very large boom with the city developing rapidly. The locals love their Sheikh who is working on a modernization program.

GEOGRAPHY: Qatar is a small peninsula located in the east of Arabia. The country borders the Persian Gulf and Saudi Arabia. It is situated in a strategic location near major petroleum deposits. The terrain of Qatar is mainly flat and rocky. The most common features include coastal salt pans, massive sand dunes surrounding Khawr al Udayd (Inland Sea) and elevated limestone formations (the Dukhan anticline) under which the Dukhan oil field lies.

CLIMATE: Qatar weather is characterized as being hot and dry. It remains almost the same throughout the year, except for a few winter months (November – May), when the temperatures get moderate and can drop as low as 5 C (41 F). Summer (May – September) temperatures can sometimes reach 50 C (122 F) and they are usually very hot, dry and humid. Rainfall is common only in winter; it is negligible in other seasons. Sudden, violent dust storms are occasionally present on the peninsula.

PUBLIC HOLIDAYS:
Sep 3 Independence Day
Sep 10 Eid-al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) (4 days)
Nov 17 Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice)
Dec 18 National Day

I have collected much information which I would love to share with you and gradually I will be building my new Travel Guide which I hope you find interesting and helpful especially if you plan having a trip out there either for business, (tourism) or out of curiosity!

The Second Trip is a Reality!

Excited that I am visitng this country a year later and this time my stay is for 3 weeks.

I am given the opportunity to see and do things that I missed on the last trip and I believe my Doha Guide is more fullfilled by now.

I am back already, the trip and stay was amazing and if asked, I do want to visit again.

I even had the opportunity to chat for a while with some Qatari ladies, even taken a photo with one of them. I found them sweet and friendly....at least the ones I write about!

If I manage to return though I would try to come closer to locals....something hard but this is something that I really want to do, mostly out of curiosity.

I believe the tips on my guide will give you an idea of what to expect when coming here.
Handy for everyone, especially the businessmen as there are tips and extended reviews of several 5* hotes and Signature restaurants that I have stayed at and dined.

• Pros:Nice for a short stay and only during the peak season
  • Cons:Not that friendly locals!
  • In a nutshell:Growing beautifully so rapidly...I want to visit again.
  • Last visit to Doha: Oct 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2014

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2014 at 5:25 AM

I have a nice virtual tour trough Doha thanks to you. Thank you for sharing your travel experiences with us!

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:53 AM

I am glad you enjoyed this virtual tour with me Aleksandra. Thanks so much for your kind words.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Hello, Popi! What a great and informative page full of your detailed descriptions! Thanks for sharing your memories!

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM

A Huge Thanks for visiting and rating my tips Victor. Imagine I am still working on this guide. The last hotel was the Four Seasons and its restaurants. What a treat! I try to keep my reviews very informative (especially hotels/restairamts & places not to be missed) so that anyone visiting get the whole picture of what to expect. Time consuming but this is how it should be I believe.

• jayjayc's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Beautiful Doha Page and Photos! Cheers!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Thanks for the interesting insight into Doha!

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I have just started writing my new tips. On this second 3 week stay I have seen everything with another eye. More inviting...Thanks for rating my tips too.

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Interested experience! I like the photos from desert!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Great page! I appreciate your very honest comments about your visit to Doha, your very helpful information, and many, many good photos! Were you ever concerned for your safety or that a traffic law would be violated?

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:07 AM

Hi Sylvia, Thanks for the look you had on my tips of Doha. Yes certainly I ws very concerned about traffic safety there as they drive like crazy. Traffic laws are only violated by locals who don't seem to care at all for the smaller cars, they are rude, demanding and very agressive. They drive like crazy, and they are haughty.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hello, Popi! You have created a thorough travel page about your unforgettable stay there.. Thanks a lot!)

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Hi, we recently flew via Doha to Istanbul. I could see the beaches from the bus that took us between terminals and did wonder about the total emptiness of the beaches... your pages make it clear. Nice tips.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Fabulous updates here. Interesting to read about the beach fee, also it is interesting to see that there are almost no people on your photos of the Pearl. I am looking forward to reading more about your adventures in Doha.

greekcypriot

“Live Everyday Like Your Last”

Badges & Stats in Doha