"Larnaca District- So much to see and do here!" Larnaca District by greekcypriot
Larnaca District Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,085 photos
Larnaca's countryside is beautiful any season you travel here.
Recently I want to discover these hidden gems and honestly speaking it is here in the district villages that a visitor feels this human touch and great hospitality of the people.
Tochni is a very small village with just 350 residents. It is centrally located halfway between Larnaca and Limassol. The central part of the village has not been affected by modern intrusions and what time has destroyed is been carefully restored and preserved.
The name of the village is said to have been derived from the word ‘Techni’ which in Greek means Art. The ancient technicians were well known all over the country for the cutting and curving the stones.
A fine example of this stone work is the church of St. Heleni and Constantinos which is found in the village square. It is the only church that is built on a bridge and it is one of three that had been built by St. Helen around 300 AD on her guest to find the Holy Cross. One piece of the Cross was glowing, guiding the Saint to the point where the Church is today.
The region is ideal for combining relaxation in the quiet village surroundings with day trips to explore the island.
Very close to the village one can visit the Chirokitia Neolithic Settlement, while the village of Lefkara, famous for its laces and silver work is only 20 minute drive from Tochni.
As for the Troodos mountains, they are just a 60 minute drive away.
The nearest beach in close proximity to the village is the Governors beach.
As I walked through the picturesque village which is set on the slopes of two hills, I set my sight on stone-built houses that line the narrow streets winding their way up to the very old Church of Saint Constantinos and Eleni.
I reached the village square and had a drink in the ‘kafenion’ coffee shop. I miss the name of the lady who is running it these days!
Some locals were playing a game of tavli, (backgammon).
The building itself looks like the kind of place that has just stepped out of 1920’s movie set, where every detail looks like it hasn’t changed for decades. Its thick walls are whitewashed, the wooden shutters are old but still retain their bright blue hue, and the paintings that hang proudly on the wall depict heroes from the 1050’s. (EOKA Struggle for independence).
Locals seem to have spent their whole lives here and intend on sticking in their old ways these days but what would really happen when this generation disappears?
Who will go to a traditional kafenion when they can go to a trendy new café? What worries me as a Cypriot is that this generation will soon disappear and some of the island’s oldest rituals and pastimes will no doubt vanish.
- Pros:An alternative way of holidays away from beaches and cafe bars.
- Cons:No cons at all...only beauty, culture and Cypriot hospitality.
- In a nutshell:Seek to find the Cypriot Hidden Gems in the countryside.
Choirokoitia, Kalavasos-Tenta provides evidence of initial establishment at the end of the 7th millennium B.C. of... more travel advice
The village of Pervolia is just 16 km from Larnaca, close to the airport and it is experiencing significant tourist... more travel advice
- See All The Small Spa in Tochni
- See All Stay away from this Grill Restaurant in...
- Ask for the price before getting a Taxi
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Larnaca District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Larnaca District- So much to see and do here!"
- "Larnaca & Area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Larnaca District
- Hotels in Larnaca District
- Transportation in Larnaca District
- Nightlife in Larnaca District
- Restaurants in Larnaca District
- Shopping in Larnaca District
- Warnings and Dangers in Larnaca District
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Larnaca District
- 148 Reviews
- 441 Photos
- 39 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Larnaca District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Larnaca District
- Posted in Travel Ireland Forum "Re: Travel websites"
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Larnaca District tips
- Wrote a Review The First Settlements of Humanity! in Larnaca District Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The First Settlements of Humanity!-Kalavasos"
- updated a Larnaca District Travel Page "Larnaca District- So much to see and do here!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 125 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 177 reviews, 274 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 90 reviews, 262 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 74 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 63 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue