"C Y P R U S - The Island of Aphrodite." Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus by greekcypriot

Cyprus Travel Guide: 4,023 reviews and 10,379 photos

Why I Keep Coming Back to My Own Little Paradise!

Cyprus is the island of no-distance and you know why? Because in the worst case scenario, one can have a delay of approximately two hours, since the largest distance from one corner of the island to the other is approximately 240 km.
Let’s say, I locate myself in Ayia Napa, then the distance to the rest of the areas in Cyprus could easily be characterized as….close!

I would in other words need 8km to Protaras, 41km to Larnaca, 80km to Nicosia, 107km to Limassol, 147km to Paphos and 210km to Polis/Latchi.

Cyprus, the island I come from is my little paradise on earth. For some, it is the island of Love, others refer to it as the island of Beauty. For me it is an absolute temptation and I have got my reasons:

Love & Beauty:
Love has its origins in Cyprus as it is the original birthplace of the goddess of Love, Aphrodite.
Cyprus and Beauty are inextricably linked as the island has exceptionally beautiful areas, vivid colors and spectacular landscapes. Crystal clear beaches are way too tempting, but also mountainous beauties, picturesque little traditional villages and scenic countryside areas spread all over the island.

Nature Beauty, History, Weather,

The Sun:
The Sun is itself in favor of Cyprus acting as a true source of inspiration for any photographer or anyone who is romantic enough to be able to appreciate the beauty of such a scene.

Summer and Cyprus have an almost all-year agreement as the majority of the days in Cyprus all year round are sunny and smiling. Tourists who keep coming back confess that the main reason for visiting or living on the island is because of its sunny character which is without doubt irresistible and tempting.

The Ancient character of the island is exceptionally special counting more than 10.000 years of existence. Different signs of ancient, medieval and modern history are in plethora on the island and easy to come across while having a stroll. Neolithic settlements, mines from the Bronze Age, palaces from the period of Kingdoms, Hellenistic theatres, Roman temples, Byzantine churches, medieval abbeys and Ottoman baths.

Wine - Cuisine - Hospitality

Wine - Commandaria the king of wines:
It happens to be the oldest wine on the globe and has been officially recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records.

According to a legend, King Richard the Lionheart of England was so passionate about this specific wine that during his wedding in 1191, he distinguished the particular wine as “the wine of kings and the king of wines”.

Cuisine & Mezze:
As a Food Critic I can speak highly of the Cypriot traditional cuisine and local products. One such is our local cheese called halloumi. When in Cyprus be sure to try the local mezze which is like the ancient symposium, a social event and a way of life.

The more around the table the merrier… Opa!!

The traditional Cypriot Mezze, which means “little delicacies” may consist of as many as 30 small plates of savory dips and vegetables and a wide range of meat and fish dishes cooked in several different ways. In contrast to hors d'oeuvres, Mezze includes the main meal itself.

Some examples of the variety offered: taramosalata, houmous, crushed olives, tzatziki, tahini dip, pickled green olives, loukanika, koupepia (dolmades), lountza, halloumi, souvlaki, sheftalia, keftedes, afelia, moussaka, stiphado, ofto kleftiko, fried zucchini, fried eggplant and the village salad.

I bet nobody can resist the Cypriot hospitality.
It is always accompanied by authentic smiles and friendly faces. This is what actually characterizes Cypriots. Here, villages’ traditional values remain, while the true character of the Cypriot people shines through wherever you go.

• Pros:A Year round Paradise!
  • Cons:Very Warm and Humid with Crowded beaches in July and August.
  • In a nutshell:Beach/Mountain/Culture/ Climate/ Hospitality at its Best. A Jewel in the Mediterranean.
  • Last visit to Cyprus: May 2015
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2015

• Sep 25, 2015 at 1:58 AM

I am a Senior Citizen hoping to travel with my adult family (5 Adults) to Cyprus Late April early May 2016 for a week.We intend to rent a Villa and a Hire Car.
    Many years ago we visted Paphos twice(self-cateringbthen) at Basilica Gardens and Sofianna Apartments respectively.

I rather fancy a Villa which is quiet, with three bedrooms preferably with en-suite bathrooms and swimmimg pool and find there is so much to choose from! I would like your advice as one is at Village Pano Arondes in the Akamas Peninsular and the others at Pissouri Bay.
    I have printed out a road map from the internet to help but need software for locations for our Satellite Navigation.

Can you help?

• Sep 26, 2015 at 1:35 AM

Thanks for replying, can you comment on the specific areas of Cyprus I have mentioned. Prices for renting Villas vary enormously, usually a " rule of thumb" is the closer you get to a sea view the more expensive the rental cost. Is this true of Cyprus, we are torn between a rural setting and close to a resort providing it is quiet!

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:29 AM

I am afraid I am not the right person to give info about this. I have never been to Arondes, and when I do visit the other places I check hotels only.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2015 at 11:13 PM

I "need" to go soon!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Hello, Popi! Thanks for your excellent and comprehensive description of Cyprus! Your page is the best source of information on this amazing country....

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Thanks so much for rating my tips Victor, and I also want to tell you that I hope one day you do visit my country. Just let me know and I will get there to show you around.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
      Apr 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Thanks a lot, Popi! It's very kind of you. I keep my finger crossed....

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM

It may take a while but I'm going to check out your Cyprus pages. There's so much info here. Thank you for your message by the way.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM

You are welcome Malcom. Take your time. I am sure after reading a few tips you will want to get a ticket and get there. There are seperate guides for the big cities too, but go to these ONLY after you have made up your mind to fly there....lol
      Don't forget the best time is September till 20th October. After that date several businesses close especially in Ayia Napa or Protaras.

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
      Jun 30, 2014 at 12:06 AM

That's a good tip already. Thanks Popi and thanks for accepting my friend request

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Wonderful tips and photos Popi. Very practical and useful information here. I am about half way through and will continue when I have more time. thank you for a wonderful effort.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Kate thank you so much that you dropped by and read my Cyprus tips but rated them as well. It counts a lot.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Aug 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I will be back as soon as I can to read the rest of them.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Hi Popi, do I need a passport to travel from Greek part to Turkish side of Cyprus?

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Oh yes. Absolutely you have to show the passport at the green line! When do you plan visiting Cyprus? I will be out there the last week of September till mid October.....it is the best time of travelling to Cyprus that time and still the peak season.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
      Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Not sure yet but will come in August. As you know Croatia is part of CE now and I will travel with my ID card only, not sure if my passport will be ready.

• HeshamMA's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Nice Review Popi , Well written

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Yasoo Popi, I enjoyed your hotel reviews and you have my vote. Great pages on the hotels of Cyprus. Fantastic work. Larry/travelgourmet

• CDM7's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Interesting pages and photos.Cyprus(N&S) is very close to my heart.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

great page!

greekcypriot Used To Live Here!

“Live Everyday Like Your Last”

Badges & Stats in Cyprus