"C Y P R U S - The Island of Aphrodite." Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus by greekcypriot
Cyprus Travel Guide: 4,043 reviews and 10,538 photos
Cyprus is the island of no-distance and you know why? Because in the worst case scenario, one can have a delay of approximately two hours, since the largest distance from one corner of the island to the other is approximately 240 km.
Let?s say, I locate myself in Ayia Napa, then the distance to the rest of the areas in Cyprus could easily be characterized as?.close!
I would in other words need 8km to Protaras, 41km to Larnaca, 80km to Nicosia, 107km to Limassol, 147km to Paphos and 210km to Polis/Latchi.
Cyprus, the island I come from is my little paradise on earth. For some, it is the island of Love, others refer to it as the island of Beauty. For me it is an absolute temptation and I have got my reasons:
Love & Beauty:
Love has its origins in Cyprus as it is the original birthplace of the goddess of Love, Aphrodite.
Cyprus and Beauty are inextricably linked as the island has exceptionally beautiful areas, vivid colors and spectacular landscapes. Crystal clear beaches are way too tempting, but also mountainous beauties, picturesque little traditional villages and scenic countryside areas spread all over the island.
The Sun is itself in favor of Cyprus acting as a true source of inspiration for any photographer or anyone who is romantic enough to be able to appreciate the beauty of such a scene.
Summer and Cyprus have an almost all-year agreement as the majority of the days in Cyprus all year round are sunny and smiling. Tourists who keep coming back confess that the main reason for visiting or living on the island is because of its sunny character which is without doubt irresistible and tempting.
The Ancient character of the island is exceptionally special counting more than 10.000 years of existence. Different signs of ancient, medieval and modern history are in plethora on the island and easy to come across while having a stroll. Neolithic settlements, mines from the Bronze Age, palaces from the period of Kingdoms, Hellenistic theatres, Roman temples, Byzantine churches, medieval abbeys and Ottoman baths.
Wine - Commandaria the king of wines:
It happens to be the oldest wine on the globe and has been officially recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records.
According to a legend, King Richard the Lionheart of England was so passionate about this specific wine that during his wedding in 1191, he distinguished the particular wine as ?the wine of kings and the king of wines?.
Cuisine & Mezze:
As a Food Critic I can speak highly of the Cypriot traditional cuisine and local products. One such is our local cheese called halloumi. When in Cyprus be sure to try the local mezze which is like the ancient symposium, a social event and a way of life.
The more around the table the merrier? Opa!!
The traditional Cypriot Mezze, which means ?little delicacies? may consist of as many as 30 small plates of savory dips and vegetables and a wide range of meat and fish dishes cooked in several different ways. In contrast to hors d'oeuvres, Mezze includes the main meal itself.
Some examples of the variety offered: taramosalata, houmous, crushed olives, tzatziki, tahini dip, pickled green olives, loukanika, koupepia (dolmades), lountza, halloumi, souvlaki, sheftalia, keftedes, afelia, moussaka, stiphado, ofto kleftiko, fried zucchini, fried eggplant and the village salad.
I bet nobody can resist the Cypriot hospitality.
It is always accompanied by authentic smiles and friendly faces. This is what actually characterizes Cypriots. Here, villages? traditional values remain, while the true character of the Cypriot people shines through wherever you go.
- Pros:A Year round Paradise!
- Cons:Very Warm and Humid with Crowded beaches in July and August.
- In a nutshell:Beach/Mountain/Culture/ Climate/ Hospitality at its Best. A Jewel in the Mediterranean.
Be sure to taste and buy some Cypriot products to take back home before your flight. The ladies by the Cypriot kiosk... more travel advice
Prepare to Pay Lots: Taxis in Cyprus are way too expensive. I came across this link in my attempt to check the cost... more travel advice
- See All The Cypriot Meze
- See All Consular Services
- See All Some etiquette for Hostels & Campsites
- See All CAMPSITES IN CYPRUS -Budget stays
- See All Visiting the Folk Art Museum in Nicosia
- See All "THE CYPRUS SUNSHINE CUP"
- See All Markets in General in Cyprus
- See All Guarantee for Relaxing Holidays-A Gem in...
- See All Easter -Flaounes in Cyprus
- See All The cheapest karaoke in Paphos!
- See All Carry the Only Necessary. Avoid Heavy...
Been to Cyprus?Share your travels with the world!
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Cyprus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "C Y P R U S - The Island of Aphrodite."
- "my 7 days in Cyprus"
- "Rachel_Sun's Cyprus Page"
- "Cyprus - The Land Of Aphrodite"
- "Cyprus..The Emerald of the Mediterranean.."
- "KIBRIS/CYPRUS... The Magical Tale of Mediterranean"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cyprus
- Hotels in Cyprus
- Transportation in Cyprus
- Nightlife in Cyprus
- Restaurants in Cyprus
- Shopping in Cyprus
- Warnings and Dangers in Cyprus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cyprus
- 771 Reviews
- 2,170 Photos
- 397 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Cyprus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cyprus
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Warsaw Mini meeting - Warsaw..."
- updated a Cyprus Travel Page "C Y P R U S - The Island of Aphrodite."
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Cyprus tips
- Wrote a Review Purchase Local Delicacies to take back Home in Cyprus Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Purchase Local Delicacies to take back Home"
- Uploaded a Video to Cyprus
Videos in CyprusSee All Videos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 133 reviews, 441 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 92 reviews, 419 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 178 reviews, 278 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 78 reviews, 334 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Intro, 98 reviews, 306 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oros Pilion Intro, 59 reviews, 280 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 73 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troodos Intro, 65 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paphos Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 81 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue