" MY LIFE ....A FASCINATING TRIP" greekcypriot's Profile

SOME THINGS ABOUT ME AND MY LIFE

WHAT I AM DOING NOW:
I am a Professional Travel Guide Writer, and I love sharing my travel experiences with others. I am a Greek Cypriot and I was born in Larnaca. I have been living in Greece since 1974. All these years in Greece I had been working as an English teacher. I have travelled a lot through my life, and I have visited 38 countries so far many of which with repeated trips. I plan to double the countries in the years to come because travelling is my great passion. Recently I have become an Auditor for Hotels and Restaurants.

My friends call me "A traveller". I got so much out of all these travels, and as a teacher I could always pass my real experience to my students which they loved hearing my stories behind some lessons.

Check through the Rich Collection of my Guides that include more than 20.000 photos from my Trips worldwide, with useful and detailed information. You can find everything HERE

MY MISSION TRIP TO KENYA IN JULY 2010

MY MISSION TRIP TO KENYA IN JULY 2010
The summer of 2010 I organized a trip to Kenya which was in a way totally different to other trips. I knew I would come across hardship and I knew it would not be an easy thing to do but I wanted to give it a try.

I spent more than 5 months gathering information about the place, the people involved, schools I was going to visit, arranged several other activities and finally I flew to Kenya with my husband.
We arranged to have open-date tickets as I wanted to see the place first and then arrange to return when I felt like it.
It was my Mission trip and had nothing to do with hotels, or safaris.
I was supposed to stay with locals this time something that I never regretted.
TIP:
I urge members here who plan having a similar trip to double check things before they go for it.

On one of the visits, the person who planned this trip for us arranged that we stay with the head of the Massai for two or three nights which it might sound exciting but in reality it is not –believe me. Sheep to be sacrificed to honoring us, dancing and different other things but the whole visit in the house lasted only 5 minutes and I remained standing because it was not possible for me to stay longer in there.
We had arranged to visit the Kilimanjaro Mountain and go to a Pilgrimage in Uganda. However if you are iterested have a look on the link: My Mission Trip to Kenya.

I CHANGED AS A PERSON....

THE TRIP TO KENYA HELPED ME A LOT TO CHANGE AS A PERSON
After the trip I quit my job as a teacher, as I think I can live with much less, and enjoy a happier life. I don't get a single penny now, but I am travelling a lot but NOT as a Tourist like before but as a Traveller. I love both the country I was born -Cyprus, and just as much the country I live now which is Greece. My husband is Greek too.
In a way for me it is like living in both countries as I come and go very frequently and I have my own house in Larnaca.

A FOOD TRAVEL ENTHUSIAST

I CONSIDER MYSELF A FOOD FANATIC
Through the many years of travelling and after visiting more than 37 countries, I have developed my palate and learnt to appreciate good food.

I have become a food travel enthusiast and a good restaurant critic with much taste and experience. You see, with experience comes confidence.
Through travelling I seek out and sample all cuisines no matter how weird some are.

When I visit a restaurant for me is like being a consumer advocate. The more the meal costs, the higher will be the expectations.
You see, eating out is so much more than what is served on your plate -
it is experience as a whole.

RESTAURANT REVIEWS

Members can find here a considerable number of restaurants with detailed reviews.
I have alternatives of different Seafood/Meat/Vegetarian restaurants. Others are extremely good, others average and there are a few which proved disappointing.
Check the ones in Athens and Cyprus.
My List of Restaurants are for All Budgets and Tastes.

Personally, I love the Cretan cuisine which is based on health concerns with fewer fats and lipids. It has the ability to grow seasonal food and produce the year round fresh products.
(Nearly all the events taking place in Crete are associated with food).

WHAT GREEK CUISINE IS ALL ABOUT

GREEK CUISINE? Isn’t that Tzatziki, Green Salad, Mousaka and Souvlaki?

I guess this is what you might more or less believe but it is totally wrong!

The real Greek cuisine is one of the richest, healthiest and tastiest in the world. I urge you to stay away from the typical tourist tavernas when you visit Greece and try places where you can taste the genuine home-cooked Greek dishes where simple fresh ingredients are used.

Ingredients like -Virgin olive oil, Seasonal Fruit and Veggies, Herbs, Honey and measured amounts of dairy products, meat and fish. All these combined are transformed into true feasts accompanied by good quality local wines.

I CONSIDER MYSELF A GOOD COOK.
When however I am at home my cuisine is simple, -I use fresh ingredients, virgin olive oil, salads mostly, fish, and much fruit.
I don’t fancy meat that much I can admit, and I only have it once or twice a month…and mostly grilled!
In all I can say that I don’t spend much time in the kitchen, and I am only after nutrient food.
I give attention to the color taste and presentation on a daily basis. I daily accompany my food with a glass of wine.

TRAVEL IS IN MY GENES.

I GOT AFTER MY PARENTS WHO WERE PASSIONATE TRAVELLERS
Hardly do I remember a weekend in my early age having to stay at home. We were constantly out for picnics, on jaunts, staying over weekends in small guest-houses, having day trips to the countryside exploring Cyprus

At the age of 14 the whole family flies over to Egypt for a week’s vacation. Honestly I was shocked upon landing in Cairo –the traffic jam, the difference in culture, colors, smell and food. At the same time I found all these tempting as well.
Instantly I knew that this was only the beginning!

I could not live without traveling and I hope to see as much as I can during my life. I will take every opportunity to go away, see new countries and meet new people if and when I can.

Each of my journeys is preceded by studying the destination; its history, culture, and customs. I want to capture the spirit of cultures through the lens of my camera.

As a passionate traveler I am happy that I have so many friends around the world. I consider myself a traveler and not a tourist. Behind the two words there is a huge difference.

THE BEAUTY OF NATURE

I love nature and always feel the enormous amount of energy that it gives me whether it is mountains, woods, waterfalls, oceans, lakes, or very small villages.
I am a person who wants to see as much as humanly possible when I am out traveling and you will hardly seem me hanging by the pool. I am out mostly walking, mixing with locals, taking photos, tasting different cuisines drinking wine and having fun.

BEAUTY IS ALL OVER….Can we see it?*

Years back I would seek beauty in distant and exotic paradise-like destinations. This would make me happy. Now I see that it is not necessarily found in distant destinations.
It might be all around us and many times we don’t even bother noticing it. This is probably because for some of us it has become a routine-like thing. We become more and more demanding because we have never learnt to appreciate what is around us and take everything for granted.

LEARNING TO APPRECIATE LITTLE THINGS

We shall see and feel it only if we start appreciating little things in life. Trust me, the smaller the things you appreciate, the happier you will become. I have never even for once envied rich people.
Do you think they are always happy? I don’t think so.

HAPPINESS AND SHARING

If asked where I find mine I can give you an endless list. It is actually a list in progress and I would start with family first, friends, nature, a nice book, even a cup of coffee. The list goes on -a smile, a nice word, a hug, my writing, smell and taste, or taking photos. It can be a scenic route, a Spa, and all kinds of holidays –budget and luxury. Being out here on VT makes me happy also. My list is endless! I am also happy that I can travel Virtually through the Guides and Entries of friends who are out travelng. I find this just as interesting.

SHARING MY TRAVEL EXPERIENCE AND FRIENDSHIP
At times when I am not traveling I try to help as much as possible threough VT friends who are travelling to destinations that I know well.
It is my pleasure to share tips, suggest alternatives…and this is actually what nearly every member does out here. I find it wonderful!

I am working on this page .....it is coming soon!

• Intro Updated Mar 29, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
greekcypriot's Profile Photo

greekcypriot

“Live Everyday Like Your Last”

Real Name