"Rio de Janeiro through my eyes" sandranunes's Profile

The last Tram

This is the last true Tramway operation for regular passengers in South America.They started operating with electricity in 1891, replacing horse-drawn trams and expanding its route. Nowadays, they can only be seen in Santa Teresa, a district of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil...it is a wonderful journey back in time, offering superb views of the city

This scene happens every 5 or 15 minutes, trams coming and going and people running to catch them.

Mahatma Ghandi Square

This beautiful waterfountain is located at a square downtown Rio de Janeiro

Yatch Club Urca

Rooftops and Windows

This composition was done from a borrowed window in Largo dos Guimarães. I could not resist the view or the red rooftops against the green vegetation and the light breeze giving movement to the colorful laundry.

Santa Teresa

Santa Teresa is one of the most exquisite districts of Rio de Janeiro located high on a hill offering stunning views across the city, from north to south zones. Nestled in the largest urban forest of the world, it features narrow streets, lined by town houses with vivid gardens. Travelling in the survivor charming tram system reminds us of an era gone by. Largo dos Guimarães, Curvelo, Morro dos Prazeres, Largo das Neves are among others some districts ot this so called "Brazilian Montmartre".

Joaquim Murtinho Street

This group of houses in eclectic style welcomes visitors at one of the main entrances of Santa Teresa.

Largo dos Guimarães

The heart of Santa Teresa. Here there is a great concentration of restaurants and bars serving regional Brazilian and international dishes as well as cold beer and excellent soft drinks. At night, Brazilian music is performed live in the streets and inside of the restaurants.Bar o Mineiro and the famous "pastel de feijão", Sobrenatural, Bar do Arnaudo are just some of them ...

Santa Teresa Community, slums

...and from the top of Corcovado, Christ the redeemer blesses us all.

• Intro Updated Apr 23, 2011

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I just love your paintings Sandra. I hope you have fun painting in France on your upcoming trip.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Thanks Sally, I really intend to do as much paintings as possible.It is very difficult to organize time for explore the site and to painting, though! Thanks for your replies in the forums, I´m studying your pages now!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2014 at 6:28 AM

oi Sandra! feliz aniversário atrasado!! te desejo tudo de bom. beijos!

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Hey Sandra, - another day I get to look at your paintings. It's become a ritual. I wish you the best Birthday ever..........d:o)

• stream&rain's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Happy Birthday.................... Dear Friend I wish you healty years. All the best from Istanbul

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Omer! Thanks for the birthday wishes, I miss my days in Turkey, one of the best trips I´ve ever taken! Say hello to your family!

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Happy Birthday Sandra, paint on through life! Your artistic efforts and pages are such a joy on this site! Doug

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Thank you very much Doug! I wish I had more time to hang with people here, this is an amazing place!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Happy birthday!

• mili_143's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Wish you many many happy returns of the day !

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Happy birthday Sandra.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday Sandra. I hope you have a coming year of Happy Travels and lots of paintings to share with us. I love your paintings.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Thanks for the wishes and appreciation of my paintings, Sally! Have a great Sunday!

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2014 at 4:11 AM

Happy Birthday mate xx

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
sandranunes's Profile Photo

sandranunes

“Painting my way through life...”

Ranked Member