"Iligan City.........Simply Amazing !" Top 5 Page for this destination Iligan City by BobNewYork

Iligan City Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 346 photos

Did I find Iligan or did Iligan Find Me ?

It was quite by accident one night while websurfing an address ending with " 9200 Iligan City appeared on my internet screen. the combination of the post code and city name interested me in finding out where in the world it is. Not being at all familiar with The Philippines my websearch of Iligan turned up hundreds of pics, videos and text articles with the majority of them posted by those that reside in Iligan and not by a commercial website ! The more I learned about Iligan the more interested I became it. Those that post on the internet from there have a great deal of pride in their city despite the often less than desireable economic conditions as compared to where I live in the USA. It was only by chance that I ever found Iligan City and several years later I am still websurfing and websearching it.

Would You Go Half Way Round The World for a Burger

I found many things that interested me in and around Iligan. Interesting small shops in the city proper with the kind of signage on the buildings giving each one it's own individuality and character, the likes of which I have not seen here in many years. There are many beautiful and scenic and natural sights in and around Iligan that I never knew I would admire so much until I actually went there to see them and so many other things that attractred my interest. The one picture that really made me decide to visit Iligan was the first picture I saw of " Jollibee " on Tibanga Highway. Not many would consider a fast food franchise as a tourist attraction but I never said I am a typical tourist. I stared at that pic for quite some time imagining what it would be like sitting in there eating burgers and watching Jeepneys, Tricicads, motorelas and other forms of transportation go by that I had never seen before. It was 2 years after I first found Iligan on the internet, months of research and planning my wish came true ! Would you go half way around the world for a Hamburger ? I did and it turned into the best vacation I ever had ! I have been back to Iligan for a total of 5 visits and I plan on visiting again. While websurfing Iligan, I made friends with some of the people there thru interactive websites and various chat channels. When I finally arrived in Iligan I did not feel like a stranger there. There is a lot of truth to an often heard expression " The Warmth and Hospitality of The Iliganons " !

My Longest Journey Ever !

As there are no direct flights from New York to The Philippines, my air routing went from New York to Anchorage Alaska to Taipei to Manila to Cagayan De Oro about a 90 minute drive from Iligan City which is as close as you can get by air. Upon my arrival a group of friends I had made via internet in Iligan were there to greet me at Lumbia Airport and transport me to Iligan City. It was sbout 22 hours of flight time and an average of just over an hour at each stop along the way. Considering the time zones, international date line and other factors it was 2 and a half days ( Iligan time ) since I had left New York and arrived in Iligan.
My friends thought after checking into the Hotel that I would need a rest but instead the first thing I wanted to do was to go a short distance down the street to Jollibee, which I did along with my friends. To see something in a picture on an internet screen, half way around the world in a place you have never been before and using your imagination as to what it would be like being in there, it was like a thrill of a lifetime to actually be there. This was just the beginning of a long and continuing chain of events which continues my fondness for a place I feel I have really become attached to. I have made many more friends in Iligan and thanks to the internet I can have a virtual visit any time. I just wish I had more time to spend there for my visits.

• Pros:Friendly people, peaceful and secure, some great sites
  • Cons:Foriegn Credit cards may not work in all ATM's
  • In a nutshell:Iligan City.............Simply Amazing !
  • Last visit to Iligan City: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2011

Comments

BobNewYork

“Iligan City..........Simply Amazing !”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Iligan City

Have you been to Iligan City?

Friends