"NAARDEN..... fascinating to see" Naarden by rozehill
Naarden Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 56 photos
Naarden is primarily famous for the unique fortification and one of the best preserved fortified towns in Europe. In the 21st century the fortified town Naarden no longer poses a military threat to anyone. However, that was quite different years ago.
In military and strategic terms Naarden was impregnable and originally built as a part of the New Holland Waterline to resist a possible attack from the French. For a long time it housed foreign enemy troops. How all this happened and, particularly how imaginative and skilful work of the builders of this fortress has been, can be seen and experienced everyday in and around this fortified town.
Naarden a very lively and attractive town.
Dutch fortresses consist of stone, earth ramparts, dropping sharply down into wide moats.
You enter the fortress by a drawbridge.
Further into the town is another bridge across the inner moat and finally there is an opening in the wall where, originally there was a gate. Only one of these gates remain "The Utrecht Gate" no longer open to traffic but you can pass through by foot or bike. The former Amsterdam Gate is not there now.
Naarden is about 15 minutes from Amsterdam
rozehill's Related Pages
Naarden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Naarden, a well kept fortified town!"
- "NAARDEN..... fascinating to see"
- "Naarden, the starshaped city"
- "Naarden, NL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naarden
- Hotels in Naarden
- Transportation in Naarden
- Restaurants in Naarden
- Shopping in Naarden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naarden
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Naarden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naarden
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 118 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 46 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaikoura Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 30 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Picton Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Waimate Island Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Dunedin Intro, 16 reviews, 12 photos