"Catlins" Catlins Lake by rozehill
Catlins Lake Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 30 photos
South Catlins is in the south eastern corner of the South Island of New Zealand. The boundaries are loosely defined as the Mataura River on the west to the Southland-Otago provincial boundary in the south east at the Waipati Estuary north west to approximately Mataura township.Total area approximately 56,250 ha (or 375 square miles). This area is still close to 50% native bush leaving approximately 28,000 ha in farmland. It is estimated 5% of the 28,000 ha is in exotic forest and is increasing rapidly. Predominant land use is mixed live stock, pastoral farming, sheep, beef cattle, deer, dairy cattle, in that order.
The average farm size is approximately 320 ha with a carrying capacity of 10 stock units to the hectare.
1 sheep = 1 stock unit
1 cow = 6 stock units
1 yearling cattle beast = 3 stock units
1 adult deer = 3 stock units
Sheep are used for wool production and lambs are fattened for export. Beef is fattened for local market and export overseas. Deer are farmed for venison and velvet production abroad. Dairy cows are farmed for milk production but are in low numbers in this area.
Much of the earliest land farmed was developed from tussock and light scrub but later bush was fallen and cleared. The South Catlins has a reliable moderate to heavy rainfall of around 60 inches per year. Temperatures are cool to moderate and very dry conditions are uncommon. Land running back from the Mataura River from Fortrose to Mataura would have been farmed earliest in the late 1870s and is still regarded heavier land with better production. Soil type range from (Tautuka acid) in the bush land to the east to (fertile silt loom) on the valley floors and the west side.
rozehill's Related Pages
Catlins Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Catlins"
- "The Natural Wonders of the South East"
- "In the Catlins June 06"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Catlins Lake
- Hotels in Catlins Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Catlins Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Catlins Lake
- 6 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Catlins Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Catlins Lake
Photos in Catlins LakeSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 118 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 46 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaikoura Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 30 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Picton Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Waimate Island Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Dunedin Intro, 16 reviews, 12 photos