"Tennant Creek" Tennant Creek by rozehill
Tennant Creek Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 18 photos
Although a modest outback town, Tennant Creek is the Territory's most important settlement after Darwin, Alice Springs and Katherine.
Located 377 m above sea level and enjoying an annual rainfall of 470 mm, Tennant Creek is the most important township on the Barkly Tablelands. With a population of over 3 500, and located on the Stuart Highway 504 km north of Alice Springs and 978 km south of Darwin, Tennant Creek is one of the five major centres in the Northern Territory.
The first European to pass through Tennant Creek was the explorer John McDouall Stuart who in 1860, finding a creek in the desert, named it after his friend, the South Australian pastoralist and politician, Andrew Tennant (1835-1913).
rozehill's Related Pages
Tennant Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tennant Creek - The Golden Heart of the NT"
- "Tennant Creek Briefly"
- "Tennant Creek"
- "Devils Marbles"
- "Key Locations in Outback History."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tennant Creek
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Tennant Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tennant Creek
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 118 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 46 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaikoura Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 30 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Picton Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Waimate Island Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Dunedin Intro, 16 reviews, 12 photos