"Birmingham" Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham by Galahad
Birmingham Travel Guide: 782 reviews and 1,292 photos
The 2nd largest city (after London) in the UK.
This is the city where I went to university in the middle 1970's.
See also the following VT sites -Stourport-on-Severn ( my home town for over 34 years), Malvern, Worcester, and Upton-on-Severn all to the west and south-west of Birmingham.
May 2005 According to one of the leading commercial property consultancies Birmingham is now the UK's second largest retail centres by the amount the shoppers spend.
After the disappointment of NOT being chosen to host the Nation's Millenium Dome and celebrations that went with that; of NOT being chosen for the National Football Stadium to replace Wembley; of NOT being chosen for the National Atheletics Stadium and now NOT being chosen for the European Capital of Culture 2008 there are suggestions to think big in the way that the 19th century Mayor, Joseph Chamberlain, did in the middle of that century. Then the City embarked on really huge Capital expenditure - building reservoirs in Wales and huge mains for 100 miles to the city and then throughout the city for running water for it's inhabitants; it provided electricity, gas and trams (these were later scrapped and but it is now planned for them to make a comeback into the streets of the city centre)
- Pros:Brum is pouring money into making itself one of the smartest cities in Europe
- Cons:Still an aweful lot of poverty and dereliction.
On 31.7.06 a new FREE bus service started between the three main railway stations (New Street, Moor Street and Snow... more travel advice
One of the local guides described this restaurant as "enormous, ... offering fresh, fast and delicious food. Bargain... more travel advice
- See All Edmund Street
- Penalty Fares on the trains
- See All One of the four major Department Stores
Galahad's Related Pages
Birmingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birmingham, England ~~~~ original brum!"
- "Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum"
- "Birmingham: My Home!"
- "~ A Weekend In Birmingham ~"
- "J_P_B's Birmingham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birmingham
- Hotels in Birmingham
- Transportation in Birmingham
- Nightlife in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Shopping in Birmingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birmingham
- 58 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Birmingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birmingham
- updated a Birmingham Travel Page "Birmingham"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Train routes South from Birmingham New Street"
- Wrote a Review Free travel around the city centre about Buses in Birmingham Transportation
- Posted in Travel Boston Forum "RE: RE: Walking from South..."
- Commented on one of david010's Birmingham travel pages
Photos in BirminghamSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 58 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stourport Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- York Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpelier Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bewdley Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Innsbruck Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 2 photos