Kidderminster Things to Do Tips by Galahad
Kidderminster Things to Do: 3 reviews and 3 photos
LNER engine leaving Kidderminster
Go and spend time on the 16 mile long Severn Valley Railway. This heritage railway is adjacent to the main Kidderminster railway station. Most of the trains are steam hauled but the SVR now have a number of heritage diesel locomotives and one is used most days. Every Saturday our heritage diesel multiple unit operates a "fish and chip supper" service. From 8th May 2004 to the 26th September 2004 there is a daily service.
The whole railway is run and maintained by about 1500 volunteers with about 100 paid staff.
I spend quite a lot of time here, as I work as a volunteer about 1 day every 2 weeks maintaining the track. Quite a change from my old office job. The gang I belong to look after the southern 8 mile section from Arley to Kidderminster. Trains can be boarded at Kidderminster or at any of the stations along the line. Allow at least half a day if not the whole day if you are going on a train.
This photo is of a train leaving Kidderminster about to enter the single track line to Bridgnorth.
Directions: off the Comberton Hill
The collections are housed in a warehouse built by the Great Western Railway in 1878 for the storage of grain on the ground floor for the nearby flour mills, and wool on the upper floor for the local carpet industries. It had rail access on the one side and road access on the other. It was converted into a parcels warehouse in the 1960s and became disused and subsequently derelict in the early 1980s.
More Reviews (5)
Galahad's Related Pages
Kidderminster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carpet town"
- "Home of the Severn Valley Railway"
- "Kidderminster Carpet Town"
- "Wonderful, Wonderful Kidderminster"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kidderminster
- Transportation in Kidderminster
- Nightlife in Kidderminster
- Restaurants in Kidderminster
- Shopping in Kidderminster
- Warnings and Dangers in Kidderminster
- See All...
Explore the World
- Boomer Island
- Fuzhou Hotels
- Pulau Tidung-kecil Hotels
- Saint Joseph Hotels
- San Juan de Oriente
- Diego Garcia
- Black Moshannon State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kidderminster
- 7 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kidderminster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kidderminster
Photos in KidderminsterSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 58 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stourport Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- York Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpelier Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bewdley Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Innsbruck Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 2 photos