"Landmarkers" Lundy Island by Galahad
Lundy Island Travel Guide: 156 reviews and 677 photos
The island is inhabited by a very tough breed of people called "Landmarkers". There are only about a dozen people who live permanently on the Island, and that includes the land agent, the shepherd, the brewer, the shop keeper, and the landlord for the pub. One occasion we stayed, there was also a teacher for the Island's Primary age children.
Most times of the year you go the 12 miles out into the Bristol Channel on the M S Oldenburg, depending on the tide from Bideford or Ilfracombe. In the winter, you now go by helicopter from Hartland. Do NOT forget that weather changes. We once waited 2 days before the captain said he would take us and 3 days before we could get off the Island.
Lundy Island is not quite wholly English. For example it is the only part of England allowed to issue its own postal stamps, each with a puffin on it.
Expect the unexpected. Remember Lundy is seriously affected b the weather. On one occasion, before they introduced the... more travel advice
Galahad's Related Pages
Lundy Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Notes From A (Very) Small Island"
- "A remote and unspoilt piece of paradise"
- "A singular place (in all senses of the word)!"
- "LUNDY ISLAND"
- "British’s Islands pizzicato"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lundy Island
- Hotels in Lundy Island
- Transportation in Lundy Island
- Nightlife in Lundy Island
- Restaurants in Lundy Island
- Shopping in Lundy Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Lundy Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lundy Island
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Lundy Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lundy Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 58 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stourport Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- York Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpelier Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bewdley Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Innsbruck Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 2 photos