Lesotho Packing List Tips by CatherineReichardt Top 5 Page for this destination
Lesotho What to Pack: 7 reviews and 3 photos
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: For fear of sounding like your mother (I am someone's), I highly recommend that you do not venture into Lesotho without packing your thermal underwear!
Regardless of season, Lesotho can get very cold - we were recently there in early January (midsummer) and got caught up in a major hailstorm, which dropped the temperature within minutes by 20¢ªC. At such altitude, it's difficult to warm up again once you've got cold (especially if you got wet into the bargain), and you really need something dry to change into that will help to conserve your body heat.
Thermal underwear has the virtue of being both toasty warm and packing into virtually no space. In case of emergency, it can be pressed into service as pyjamas, leggings or a T shirt, and is an invaluable addition to your case ... I never travel without mine!
First prize is genuine ski stuff but even standard department store stuff will do (if you're passing through South Africa in winter, look for well priced thermal vests and long johns in Woolworths).
Photo Equipment: I will prefix my comments by stating that I am not a photographer's backside and what I know about the technical side of taking pictures could be written on the back of a postage stamp with space to spare ...
However, do yourself a favour and do not venture into a high altitude location such as Lesotho without some sort of UV filter for your camera. For fear of stating the obvious, at altitude, the UV is much stronger than at sea level, and as a result, your photos can suffer as a result of excessive glare.
This is not an expensive piece of equipment, but will make the world of difference to your photos, so consider this an 'essential' rather than a 'luxury'!
More Reviews (56)
- See All I survived Sani Pass!
- See All Exploring Lesotho's extensive bridle...
- See All The hardy Basotho pony - a 4x4 among...
- See All Beware of driving behind overloaded...
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Lesotho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Three generations trek over the Roof of Africa!"
- "Lesotho - The Kingdom in the sky"
- "LESOTHO. THE KINGDOM OF THE SKY"
- "LESOTHO - KINGDOM IN THE SKY"
- "Basotho Village Treks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lesotho
- Hotels in Lesotho
- Transportation in Lesotho
- Nightlife in Lesotho
- Restaurants in Lesotho
- Shopping in Lesotho
- Warnings and Dangers in Lesotho
- See All...
Explore the World
- Myrdal Hotels
- Kalvarija Hotels
- Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Santa María de Jesùs
- Malden Hotels
- Cala Gonone
- Kaeleku Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lesotho
- 58 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Lesotho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lesotho
- Posted in Travel Umfolozi Forum "Re: umfolozi Hluhluwe accomodation"
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Lesotho tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "I survived Sani Pass!"
- updated a Lesotho Travel Page "Three generations trek over the Roof of Africa!"
- Wrote a Review I survived Sani Pass! in Lesotho Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 208 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 85 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues