"Three generations trek over the Roof of Africa!" Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho by CatherineReichardt

Lesotho Travel Guide: 312 reviews and 863 photos

(work in progress)

• Pros:Unbelievably stunning scenery brillant outdoors activities and the rare opportunity to drive over the 'roof' of a continent
  • Cons:Remote, with limited choice of accommodation and could be challenging if you like tame roads
  • In a nutshell:Your reward for being brave enough to venture off the conventional tourist track!
  • Last visit to Lesotho: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2012

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM

wow great report gets 5's from ME really brought back great memories

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
      Jul 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Thanks Paul - I really appreciate your kind comments!
      My only regret on this trip is that we didn't get to Roma. I was there in the late 80s as I wanted to see the grave of the Blessed Gerald, and I would love to return. My daughter is a keen rider, so perhaps one day we might treat ourselves to a few day's pony trekking into the mountains? So much to do, so little time!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

wow this place looks great and great pics thanks - always dreaming of places around Africa I could go next with my camera and my desire for stunning scenery, adventure, and new cultures and countries but the boyfriend to translate and keep me feeling safer in deep dark Africa!?...hopefully will get to Senegal in April after checking out a new valley in MOrocco that I didnt know about until Sept last year had thousands of apple trees so will have an awesome sight of all those blossoms in upcoming spring..

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Cathy, this is another absolutely fascinating page of yours, and totally authoritative since your association with Lesotho goes back to the 1980s. The only place I have ever been which is somewhat comparable is Swaziland, so I’m glad you included a comparison of the two kingdoms: absolute in Swaziland and somewhat (intermittently) constitutional in Lesotho.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Fascinating reading Cathy, about a country I knew virtually nothing about, to my shame! Well, you've certainly corrected that - an excellent history lesson on Moshoeshoe and the birth of the Basotho :-) And I loved your tip about "textbook onion skin weathering" as I am always the one who rather sheepishly has to ask for a breather when climbing even a fairly modest hill!
    I love the idea of walking in dinosaur footprints (and incidentally have never met a child yet who wasn't fascinated by them, regardless of their parents!) and the Moteng Pass looks stunning and more than worth the slog, as does the Sani Pass and naturally the Sani Top bar ;-) The red hot pokers look so wonderful too (and great shot of the sunbird) They are grown in gardens here but rather stupidly I am surprised to see them in the wild - they look so much as if they might specially bred to be that eye-catching!
    I see you say here "work in progress" - please let me know when / if you write more as I would love to read it!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Moshoeshoe's mountain fortress and the surroundings look marvellous!!! Fascinating insight into history with Moshoeshoe. Haha, and I love the textbook onion skin weathering :-)) Will remember it when I'll walk uphill next time :-) But ... is there such a textbook? Also love Moteng Pass and surroundings and the green mountains of Sani Pass! Fascinating story too, so it belongs to Drakensberg range? And again fascinating insight into the diamond mining business :-) Ice rat, how cute!! Beautiful Alpine flowers, oh wow!! I really love that little one which looks like Gänseblümchen! So your family had fun during this trip? They look certainly happy on the Basotho ponies :-) So what happened finally with Aloes Guest House? You didn't pay, did you? I would have been furious given how you described the problems, a camping spot would have been better equipped!
    Fantastic warning tips! Challenging driving this seems and looks. I love the Basotho ninja, haha, I bet he had fun :-)
    Fantastic morning read, thanks Cathy :-))

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Hi Cathy! Thanks for visiting my Hereford page, I enjoyed visiting the cathedral there. What a truly fantastic trip you and your family had to Lesotho! I had heard of King Moshoeshoe (from my International Relations studies at university) but I confess that your tips have enlightened and entertained me far more than any book has! It must be fascinating to experience the same places where all those intertribal wars took place. And how lucky your kids are to experience all that at such a young age!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM

What wonderful scenery! Love your photo's and description of the 4x4 Horse! I would like to see all the red hot pokers, it looks like millions of them. I grow them here, and the green & yellow ones. It was interesting reading about no-mans land, and also you had a lot of helpful tips for road travelling. Excellent page!

• nani80's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Hi Cathy,
    as always, your writings are captivating. I look forward to reading the rest of the tips.
    Regards,
    Natasa

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Photos are wonderful but I am a little early for the "gossip"...So much to write...so little time
    Marg

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Badges & Stats in Lesotho

Have you been to Lesotho?