"Go a-Viking in Flensburg!" Top 5 Page for this destination Flensburg by CatherineReichardt
Flensburg Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 59 photos
Flensburg is nestled on the far northern tip of German, just inside the Danish border, and its culture reflects its location. The town is located on a fjord and has a distinctly Nordic feel about it which I liked very much. Even by German standards, it is staggeringly clean and tidy, and despite the fact that it was midsummer and the rest of Germany was sweltering in the grip of a heatwave, the place felt fresh and envigorating (which probably means that it's abominably cold in any other season)!
We visited Flensburg because it's one of my in-laws' home towns, and also because we wanted to visit the Haithabu Viking museum, which is located about 40km south of town (see my travel tip). I was also prepared to selflessly undertake some quality control on the local Flensburger brew with no thought for my own personal enjoyment ... such is the arduous field testing that one is obligated to undertake in search of the Reichardts' Beer of the Year!
What you will probably not pick up from the map when you're planning your trip is that parts of Flensburg are unexpectedly hilly - I speak from bitter experience because I had a toddler in tow at the time, and having to manhandle a pushchair up the steep, cobbled streets came as an unpleasant surprise!
We visited Flensburg as a day trip from Hamburg. One of the highlights of the journey was crossing the Kiel ship canal, which is an awesome bit of engineering. If you're not expecting it, it's quite unnerving to be leadfooting it up the autobahn and suddenly see an enormous seagoing vessel straight ahead of you!
- Pros:The best possible combination of German and Scandinavian influences
- Cons:Probably unmercifully cold in winter!
- In a nutshell:The sort of charming off the beaten track' sort of place you always hope to stumble over, but seldom are lucky enough to find
During our visit to Flensburg, we selflessly undertook some quality control on the local Flensburger pilsener. We... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Flensburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Das flenst!"
- "Go a-Viking in Flensburg!"
- "Bonio goes to Flensburg"
- "A German City with a Danish Heart"
- "Last stop before Denmark"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flensburg
- Hotels in Flensburg
- Transportation in Flensburg
- Nightlife in Flensburg
- Restaurants in Flensburg
- Shopping in Flensburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Flensburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flensburg
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (144)
Have you been to Flensburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flensburg
Photos in FlensburgSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos