""And the weather forecast for today is 14 and 22"" Top 5 Page for this destination Swakopmund by CatherineReichardt
Swakopmund Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 514 photos
Swakop is an anachronistic German outpost welded onto the desolate desert coast of Namibia. Other than a brief media frenzy around the time when the loopy Angelina Jolie decided - for reasons best known to herself - to give birth in Swakop, the town has managed to maintain a low profile as a genteel, misty outpost of Europe on a chilly fringe of the South Atlantic.
I worked a lot in Namibia during the 90s and early noughties, when the entertainment value of TV and radio was sorely limited (and, I suspect, hasn't improved much since then). It is disappointing to admit that the weather forecast was one of the broadcasting highlights - and the one constant was the forecast for Swakopmund, where (at least it seemed to me) the temperature was always forecast to be 14 and 22, regardless of season!
Setting foot in Swakop is like stepping into a time warp of German colonialism. The architecture is German, the culture is German, the food and beer are German, the language of the petrol pump attendants and even the freezy Atlantic sea temperature are German! In fact, there are times when Swakop makes you feel as though you might have stumbled into an out-of-season Baltic coastal town that has accidentally migrated several thousand kilometres south ...
So, why should you travel this far to discover such a German experience? Well, perhaps because it's such a remarkable example of enduring colonial culture nearly a century after the colonists ceded power (or, more accurately, were evicted by occupying South African forces)? Or perhaps because it's a starkly beautiful setting which offers a bewildering range of outdoor activities? Or perhaps the best reason of all is that Swakop is utterly, bizarrely unique and simply isn't like anywhere else in the world?
Swakop is completely different to the rest of Namibia, and its mild, misty climate is a superb counterpoint to the heat and harsh brightness of the interior. Do as the locals do, and retire to Swakop to rest, recuperate and recharge your batteries - you've earned it!
For more on other attractions in the area, follow this link:
My Walvis Bay page
My Usakos page
My Karibib page
My Otjimbingwe page
My Omaruru page
- Pros:It's remote, unique and very German (if that's a plus for you)
- Cons:It's a long way from anywhere and very German (if that's a problem for you)
- In a nutshell:There simply isn't anywhere like it!
Forget the charming whimsy of this warning sign ... this is a serious risk if you're self-driving in Namibia (or in... more travel advice
Swakop is the undisputed adventure capital of Namibia, and the ultimate destination for a Boys Only weekend (although I... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Swakopmund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEST BEACH RESORT IN NAMIBIA"
- "Germany in the Desert"
- "Swakopmund - city at the misty coast of Namibia"
- ""And the weather forecast for today is 14 and 22""
- "A german spot in an african desert"
- "Diary Swakopmund"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swakopmund
- Hotels in Swakopmund
- Transportation in Swakopmund
- Nightlife in Swakopmund
- Restaurants in Swakopmund
- Shopping in Swakopmund
- Warnings and Dangers in Swakopmund
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Swakopmund
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Swakopmund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swakopmund
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Critique a very draft..."
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Swakopmund tips
- Wrote a Review Beware of livestock and wildlife on the road in Swakopmund Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Adrenalin rushes in Namibia's adventure capital!"
- updated a Swakopmund Travel Page ""And the weather forecast for today is 14 and 22""
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos