"Make time for beguiling Greifswald" Greifswald by CatherineReichardt
Greifswald Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 68 photos
Like so many of the towns along the German Baltic coast, Greifswald (literally Hawks Wood) has a breezy, unpretentious atmosphere and must be a delight to explore on foot. Unfortunately the weather was gusty with intermittent showers when we visited, so we couldn't wander as we would have liked, but it was somewhere I that I would definitely like to return again.
The obvious focus of attraction is the Old Town, with the requisite beautiful Red Brick Gothic architecture of a proud Hanseatic city. However, what sets Greifswald apart from the rest of its neighbours is its lovely harbour on the river Ryck, which is now a museum. The harbour boasts over 50 ships at anchor, and must be quite a sight during the Gaffelrigg regatta that takes place on the third weekend of July each year.
For us, the major attraction (other than a lunch stop!) was that Greifswald is the birthplace of the German Romantic painter, Caspar David Friedrich, who was a master at capturing the unique light of this part of the world. Friedrich's exquisite painting of chalk cliffs on Ruegen is what inspired our visit to this part of Germany in the first place (see my Sassnitz page), and although this picture sadly hangs in a collection elsewhere, Friedrich's work is well represented in Greifswald's Art Gallery of the Pomeranian Museum.
For us, the other completely unexpected highlight of our time in Greifswald was spotting a Trabant in working order! This was a cause for a huge ostalgic outpouring of excitement on my husband's part - see my transport tip for shamelessly sentimental musings on this sad excuse for a car!
The Art Gallery of the Pomeranian Museum is an excellent collection, and is an excellent illustration of Germany's... more travel advice
Greifswald is so beautiful that it must be a delight to wander around: unfortunately the weather was gusty with... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Greifswald Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "University town of the North-East"
- "Make time for beguiling Greifswald"
- "Greifswald Page"
- "Welcome to GREIFSWALD"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greifswald
- Hotels in Greifswald
- Transportation in Greifswald
- Restaurants in Greifswald
- Shopping in Greifswald
- Warnings and Dangers in Greifswald
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greifswald
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Greifswald?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greifswald
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Greifswald travel pages
- updated a Greifswald Travel Page "Make time for beguiling Greifswald"
- Wrote a Review Guidance on photography in churches: Homer's Rules in Greifswald Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit the Art Gallery of the Pomeranian Museum"
Photos in GreifswaldSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos