"Ambivalent about Maribor" Maribor by CatherineReichardt

Maribor Travel Guide: 364 reviews and 916 photos

We passed through Maribor for a couple of hours on our way east, and I confess that I really didn't get its measure.

On the face of it, it appears to be a pleasant and prosperous town that would seem to offer the visitor a reasonable amount to do.

I suspect that the major reason to visit Maribor would be to attend the Lenten festivities or to explore the neighbouring Pohorje massif, which seems to offer excellent hiking, cycling and winter sports opportunities.

East of Maribor, the sharp topography of the west has been reduced to a series of rolling hills, and by the time you reach the border, the landscape is flat (as befits the start of the great Hungarian Plain) and the countryside is pretty rather than beautiful. Many of the hillsides are covered with vineyards, which will doubtless excite the wine buffs among us, but for those of us who are allergic to the stuff, it's no great cause for celebration!

• Last visit to Maribor: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Actually you don't sound so ambivalent about Maribor. You found a very good place to stay, in any case. Maybe the weather put you off?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Interesting page!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Thank you, Catherine, for this very informative page. I'll make sure to pack a large towel!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Anothrer city I liked very much

• picek's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2010 at 4:56 AM

Maybe next time then, if you do come back to MB. I like that you included photo of sculpture of the grim faced Kidirc from next to train station. I am not his fan, but kinda like this 'face in stone' work.

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Badges & Stats in Maribor

Have you been to Maribor?