"Home to Bavaria's only lighthouse" Lindau by CatherineReichardt
Lindau Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 161 photos
Actually my title is misleading as Lindau is actually home to both of Bavaria's lighthouses - only one of which is currently in use.
It would be hard to imagine a more picturesque setting than Lindau's - like Bled in Slovenia, it is so exquisite that it is almost a caricature of perfection. Lindau is located on a small island at the eastern end of Bodensee (Lake Constance) and is linked to the mainland by a causeway. The island is occupied by the historic old town, whereas the newer (less interesting) developments are on the mainland.
Unsurprisingly, Lindau is a magnet for tourists, and in high season, I can imagine that it is chockablock with visitors. Affordable accommodation in the old town is also at a premium over that period (I know - I tried to book with no success!), so if you're planning to be there in high summer, I would suggest that you either adjust your budget upwards or consider staying elsewhere!
Lindau can be reached by road, but it is much more romantic to approach on the ferry. The narrow entrance to the port is flanked by the lighthouse on one side and a huge statue of the Lion of Bavaria on the other, and the view of the old town from the water is magnificent.
Everything about Lindau - including its lyrical name - is beautiful. The old town is beautifully preserved, and invites the visitor to amble around aimlessly, mouth agape at one lovely building after another. In fact, my only slight criticism is that it's almost too perfect ...
- Pros:Beautiful, historic and just begging to be explored on foot
- Cons:Can get extremely crowded in high season, when accommodation is at an absolute premium
- In a nutshell:A caricature of perfection - the stuff of which postcards are made!
By far the nicest way to explore Bodensee (Lake Constance) is by ferry. There is an extensive network of ferry routes... more travel advice
The beautiful streetscapes of Lindau invite even the least athletic of visitors to explore on foot. Although there are a... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Lindau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lindau *IN* Bodensee"
- "A Bavarian town on the Lake Constance"
- "weekends in Lindau"
- "Lindau - just enchanting!"
- "Official brand: "The happy end of Germany" (?!)"
- "Home to Bavaria's only lighthouse"
- "A wonderful Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lindau
- Hotels in Lindau
- Transportation in Lindau
- Restaurants in Lindau
- Warnings and Dangers in Lindau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lindau
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Lindau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lindau
Photos in LindauSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 208 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 85 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues