"Come dancing in Meersburg!" Top 5 Page for this destination Meersburg by CatherineReichardt
Meersburg Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 246 photos
Meersburg is a picturesque little town about half way along the northern shore of Bodensee (Lake Constance).
It is a stop on virtually all the ferry routes which crisscross the lake, and makes a good day trip. It has a castle and a quirky little museum of Zeppelin memorabilia (not to be confused with the larger Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen) and is a generally pleasant place to wander around. However, be warned that the lake shore is steep at this point, so even the short walk from the ferry port into town can be quite exhausting, especially if you have limited mobility, are travelling with small children or in extreme weather.
For me, the most charming aspect of Meerburg was to discover that the Hotel Wildemann down by the quay has a dance pavilion and still holds regular dances during the season! It is an evocative place whose atmosphere transports you straight back to the way that tourism must have been for the moneyed classes Between The Wars, and is well worth a visit even if you have two left feet!
- Pros:A pretty and central location on the shores of Bodensee
- Cons:The steep gradient from the lake shore into town
By far the nicest way to explore Bodensee (Lake Constance) is by ferry. There is an extensive network of ferry routes... more travel advice
The Pfahlbau museum in Unteruhldingen is an interesting reconstruction of an ancient stilt village, the remains of which... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Meersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WONDERFUL MEDIEVAL MEERSBURG!"
- "Meersburg Off-Season"
- "Come dancing in Meersburg!"
- "Life on Lake Constance"
- "Meersburg - Medieval Town"
- "One of the Touristic Hot Spots on Lake Constance"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meersburg
- Hotels in Meersburg
- Transportation in Meersburg
- Restaurants in Meersburg
- Shopping in Meersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Meersburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meersburg
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (143)
Have you been to Meersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meersburg
Photos in MeersburgSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos