"A missile base at the end of the world" Peenemünde by CatherineReichardt
Peenemünde Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 61 photos
Peenemuende is located on the northern edge of Usedom island off the Baltic coast of Germany. When you look at a map, it doesn't seem to be all that far from major centres of population, but once you're there, and shielded from the outside world by a belt of dense forest, it feels like the edge of the world.
Of course, precisely the reason why the German army established a weapons testing centre here was its remoteness and inaccessibility which allowed them to continue with weapons development well out of the range of prying eyes. Peenemuende is probably most famous as the launch site for the V2 rocket - an abbreviation of "Vergeltungswaffe 2" (Vengeance Weapon 2) which leaves little doubt as to its intent. The inunitiated may be interested to discover that the trajectory of the V2 breached the upper limit of the atmosphere, thus making it the first manmade projectile to enter space.
As usual, we ran out of time - partly because we were waylaid by the wonderful sight of wild boar piglets by the side of the road on the way to the site (see travel tip), and so by the time that we made it to Peenemuende, the museum was closing. Nonethless, the place had an amazing atmosphere, and to see a Soviet submarine looming out of the twilight was spinetingling stuff.
This is definitely somewhere that we would like to return to, especially when our already space-mad son is a little older.
- In a nutshell:Your chance to experience the spinetingling chill of wartime and Cold War history!
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Peenemünde Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Peenemünde
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Peenemünde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peenemünde
Photos in PeenemündeSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos