"Drushininkai: easier to enjoy than to spell!" Druskininkai by CatherineReichardt
Druskininkai Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 175 photos
Druskininkai is perhaps Lithuania's best known spa town and has a pervasive air of privelege. Although we didn't have time to visit the spa or water park, we did have the chance to drive around town and admire the beautiful summer houses that were built to accommodate the rich and convalescent.
Druskininkai is located close to the current border with Poland and Belarus, and has a turbulent history, having been part of Lithuania, Poland and (briefly) Belarus in the past hundred years. During the early part of the 20th century, Druskininkai was a popular summer retreat for middle class tourists from Vilnius, Warsaw and Moscow, and after the Second World War, was hugely popular with tourists from the Soviet union who came to take the waters at the spa and associated sanatoria. It experienced a dip in popularity after the fall of the Soviet Union, but has had a resurgence in recent years due to the construction of a water park and other tourist attractions such as the off-the-wall Grutas sculpture park (see my travel tip).
If you're looking for a base in Southern Lithuania, you could do much worse than to consider Druskininkai. The town is well set up for tourism, so there's lots of accommodation, and once you've finished more active sightseeing and frolicking in the water park, you can also pamper yourself with time at the spas. Sounds like a good plan to me!
Druskininkai is perhaps Lithuania's best known spa town and has a pervasive air of privelege. Although we sadly didn't... more travel advice
The Grutas sculpture park is the sort of endearingly outlandish experience that reminds me exactly why I so love... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Druskininkai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The best European balneology resort!!!"
- "Druskininkai - resort between forests and water"
- "Sveiki atvyke i Druskininkus"
- "Druskininkai- Perfect Place For Every Season"
- "Druskininkai - cozy health-resort town"
- "Drushininkai: easier to enjoy than to spell!"
- "THE THERMAL LAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Druskininkai
- Hotels in Druskininkai
- Transportation in Druskininkai
- Nightlife in Druskininkai
- Restaurants in Druskininkai
- Shopping in Druskininkai
- Warnings and Dangers in Druskininkai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Druskininkai
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Druskininkai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Druskininkai
- Posted in Travel Umfolozi Forum "Re: umfolozi Hluhluwe accomodation"
- updated a Druskininkai Travel Page "Drushininkai: easier to enjoy than to spell!"
- Wrote a Review Drushkininkai In Your Pocket: highly recommended! in Druskininkai Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Drushininkai: easier to enjoy than to spell!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 208 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 85 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues