"Enjoy splendid isolation on Cape Kolka's beaches" Kolka by CatherineReichardt
Kolka Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 16 photos
Cape Kolka is a windswept spot on the north west coast of Latvia. Its claim to fame is that it is the point where the Baltic Sea meets the Gulf of Riga: as a result of the two sets of currents colliding, a lot of sand and other debris that is transported by wave action is dumped at this point, making it an ideal spot for beachcombing. Because of the treacherous currents, this stretch of coastline is notorious for its frequent shipwrecks, the 'bones' of which can still be seen protruding from the sand.
This section of the Latvian coast is the sort of place to come if you know how Greta Garbo felt when she said "I vant to be alone". There are literally kilometres of near-deserted white sand beach to choose from, which certainly makes a refreshing change from staking out your handkerchief-sized claim on a crowded Mediterranean beach, although be warned that the water temperature is 'refreshing' as well - or should that be 'bracing'?
Families with kids will adore the space and the beach combing opportunities, and smaller children will probably enjoy the more limited wave action of the Baltic (compared to, say the Atlantic) - however, particularly at the Cape itself, beware of venturing out into deeper water as there are very strong currents at play, and swimmers have been drowned off this coast in recent years.
The Slitere lighthouse near Kolka is an impressively orderly place - even the portaloos are housed beneath their own... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Kolka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enjoy splendid isolation on Cape Kolka's beaches"
- "Where waves meets"
- "Kolka - Since 1993 open for everyone"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kolka
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Kolka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos