"Never did a place better live up to its name!" Siofok by CatherineReichardt
Siofok Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 109 photos
(work in progress)
One of the teachers at the convent where I went to school taught me that, "if you have nothing good to say about something, then you shouldn't say anything at all" ... in which case, I wouldn't be writing this review. Unfortunately, in this - as in other areas of my life - I have been selective in my application of the wisdom that my teachers imparted ...
We had the 'pleasure' of visiting Siofok on a day trip from Budapest during an otherwise magical visit to Hungary in the spring of 2003. Since then, my husband and I have referred to Siofok as "See - oh f**k" (which works particularly well with a heavy Afrikaans accent) ... which gives you a clue as to our reaction to this place!
Reading the glowing reviews of this town on some of the other travel pages, I wonder whether we visited the same place - and if we did, please remind me to never go on holiday with those people!
Siofok is the main transport hub of Lake Balaton, and also the major tourist resort. The one thing that Siofok does not lack is accommodation: there are rather a lot of grim communist era concrete blocks and some rather more tasteful pensions and guest houses, and the place must be seething with people in season. Siofok is billed as the 'bathing capital of Hungary', and given that the lake is so shallow, it seems likely that it does heat up quite quickly once summer has started.
Out of season it seems that they all but roll up the pavements - we were there in April, and the town was deserted. Even the transport links were down to a skeleton service, which made it hard for us to explore the lake in the way that we had hoped - and maybe our disappointment at having limited mobility and frustration at the lack of information on this has coloured our perception.
Ultimately I think that the problem with Lake Balaton in general - and Siofok in particular - is one of unrealised expectation. Balaton is, after all, the largest lake in Europe, and when I saw such a massive body of water on a map, I had envisaged something along the lines of Bodensee (Lake Constance) or one of the other alpine lakes, where the lake is surrounded by splendid scenery. In truth, Balaton is a shallow water-filled depression in a fairly flat landscape, and is scenically unspectacular. The fringing wetlands in particular do offer some interesting habitats, and I imagine that it would be a good place to go bird spotting - but then my taste would rather run to the feathered variety than the bathing beauties on the beaches!
- In a nutshell:The name says it all...!!!
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Siofok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BALATON LAKE"
- "The Queen of the Southern Shore"
- "A Tourist Resort near Lake Balaton"
- "Lake Balaton - Hungary"
- "Siofok -- South shore of Lake Balaton"
- "Never did a place better live up to its name!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siofok
- Hotels in Siofok
- Transportation in Siofok
- Nightlife in Siofok
- Restaurants in Siofok
- Shopping in Siofok
- Warnings and Dangers in Siofok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siofok
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Siofok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siofok
Photos in SiofokSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (68)
Latest Siofok hotel reviews