"One of the Czech Republic's best kept secrets!" Loket by CatherineReichardt
Loket Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos
Oh how I wish I'd had more time in Loket!
I only had a chance to visit this gorgous little town for a single evening, as the castle was the venue for the conference dinner that I was attending, and I'd have happily foregone the banquet for the chance to explore. In hindsight, I should just have bunked off a morning or an afternoon of the conference when the programme looked as boring as it turned out to be, but I'm a good Catholic girl by upbringing, and probably couldn't have coped with the resultant guilt (or, worse still, would have felt even guiltier if I'd really enjoyed myself whilst bunking off)!
Apparently Goethe was a big fan of Loket (when it was called Elbogen, which means 'elbow' in German) and I can quite appreciate why. The setting of the town in the 'elbow' of a river (the technical term is an 'incised meander') is absolutely stunning. The reason for the town's location is easy to appreciate - all the inhabitants had to do to fend off landbound attackers was to secure the narrow neck of land that gave access to the town, and the precipitous walls of the river would have given added protection from waterborne assault. Perfect site selection!
The castle is quite something, and dates back to the 13th century with lots of later 'add ons'. It was the venue for our medieval banquet: overall the whole spectacle - from musicians to mock jousting - was well executed, but left me unconverted to the pleasures of medieval food and drink!
If you're travelling through this region, then I would say that Loket is an absolute 'must see' - just allow yourself more than an evening to savour its charms!
Oh, and thanks to HORSCHECK for pointing out that a sequence of James Bond movie Casino Royale (the 2006 version) was filmed here: it's not often you come across the opportunity to combine the literary influences of Goethe and Ian Fleming!
- Pros:Stunning setting, lovely architecture and an amazing castle
- Cons:Only one of my own making: a lack of time to fully explore its charms
- In a nutshell:A truly atmospheric place that would make a perfect overnight stop
It will probably come as little surprise to discover that the church close to the castle is dedicated to St Wenceslas,... more travel advice
Apparently Goethe was a big fan of Loket back in the days when it was called Elbogen (which means 'elbow' in German) and... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Loket Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the Czech Republic's best kept secrets!"
- "Loket - Czech Republic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Loket
- Hotels in Loket
- Restaurants in Loket
- Warnings and Dangers in Loket
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Loket
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (143)
Have you been to Loket?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loket
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos