"One of the Czech Republic's best kept secrets!" Loket by CatherineReichardt

Loket Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos

Oh how I wish I'd had more time in Loket!

I only had a chance to visit this gorgous little town for a single evening, as the castle was the venue for the conference dinner that I was attending, and I'd have happily foregone the banquet for the chance to explore. In hindsight, I should just have bunked off a morning or an afternoon of the conference when the programme looked as boring as it turned out to be, but I'm a good Catholic girl by upbringing, and probably couldn't have coped with the resultant guilt (or, worse still, would have felt even guiltier if I'd really enjoyed myself whilst bunking off)!

Apparently Goethe was a big fan of Loket (when it was called Elbogen, which means 'elbow' in German) and I can quite appreciate why. The setting of the town in the 'elbow' of a river (the technical term is an 'incised meander') is absolutely stunning. The reason for the town's location is easy to appreciate - all the inhabitants had to do to fend off landbound attackers was to secure the narrow neck of land that gave access to the town, and the precipitous walls of the river would have given added protection from waterborne assault. Perfect site selection!

The castle is quite something, and dates back to the 13th century with lots of later 'add ons'. It was the venue for our medieval banquet: overall the whole spectacle - from musicians to mock jousting - was well executed, but left me unconverted to the pleasures of medieval food and drink!

If you're travelling through this region, then I would say that Loket is an absolute 'must see' - just allow yourself more than an evening to savour its charms!

Oh, and thanks to HORSCHECK for pointing out that a sequence of James Bond movie Casino Royale (the 2006 version) was filmed here: it's not often you come across the opportunity to combine the literary influences of Goethe and Ian Fleming!

• Pros:Stunning setting, lovely architecture and an amazing castle
  • Cons:Only one of my own making: a lack of time to fully explore its charms
  • In a nutshell:A truly atmospheric place that would make a perfect overnight stop
  • Last visit to Loket: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2011

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2012 at 4:47 AM

I didn't know about the James Bond film but that wouldnt be surprising. have to love how they selected the site, this looks great!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I thought you medieval feast sounded like fun. Didn't know about James Bond film

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Did you know that the James Bond film Casino Royale (2006) was partly filmed here?

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Badges & Stats in Loket