"Wood carvers and cuckoo clocks!" Top 5 Page for this destination Triberg by CatherineReichardt
Triberg Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 96 photos
The pretty little town of Triberg is one of the most heavily touristed towns in the Black Forest, and home to the largest Cuckoo Clock Capital of the World.
Wood carving has long been a local speciality and is now one of the mainstays of the tourist economy. Although it originated as a folk craft to while away those long, cold, dark winter nights before TV, it is now big business, and Hauptstrasse (the main street) is lined with wood carving studios and cuckoo clock emporia that will appeal to anyone with a sneaking admiration for high kitsch.
Unlikely though it might seem, Triberg also boasts Germany's highest series of waterfalls, which are easily accessible from a car park off the main road. To my mind, the falls are pretty rather than spectacular, but are charming in the context of the surrounding woodland which is also home to a group of enchanting red squirrels.
- Pros:The falls and surrounding woodland are lovely and easily accessible
- Cons:Crowded in the high season and your worst nightmare if you're allergic to kitsch!
- In a nutshell:Pretty little town that's well worth a stop if you're in the area
Unlikely though it might seem, Germany's biggest waterfall is not somewhere in the Alps, but in the small Black Forest... more travel advice
The Black Forest is renowned for its excellent hiking - what you might not realise is that in a town like Triberg,... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Triberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wood carvers and cuckoo clocks!"
- "Triberg - the place to relax and see a lot"
- "1 Night in Triberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Triberg
- Hotels in Triberg
- Restaurants in Triberg
- Shopping in Triberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Triberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Triberg
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Triberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Triberg
- Posted in Travel Uganda Forum "Re: safety in Kampala under the..."
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Triberg tips
- updated a Triberg Travel Page "Wood carvers and cuckoo clocks!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The unexpected home of Germany's highest waterfall"
- Wrote a Review The unexpected home of Germany's highest waterfall in Triberg Things to Do
Photos in TribergSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos