"A glimpse into the soul of the Boer Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Bloemfontein by CatherineReichardt

Bloemfontein Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 229 photos

(work in progress)

• Pros:Stunning architecture and heartrending Boer War history
  • Cons:Weather can be extreme, particularly in high summer
  • In a nutshell:Bloem is an unexpected gem that few tourists bother to discover - their oversight is your opportunity!
  • Last visit to Bloemfontein: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2012

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Hello Cathy, this "to break into a little dance of celebration". I always liked the name of Bloemfontein: fountain of flowers; I was therefore curious to see what it looked like. I did not realize the town is so much linked with the Anglo-Boer war.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Cathy, this is a very impressive page and an eye-opener for me since I have never known much of anything about the Anglo Boer war.

• Walkaboutvirgo's Profile Photo
      Jan 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Hi Catherine, thanks for doing so much research on Bloemfontein and posting all those lovely pictures. I grew up in Bloem, but now live in the UK. When I'm homesick, like tonight, I search for images of Bloem on Google. Tonight a lot of the pics that came up on the list were from your Virtual Tourist pages. I was particularly touched by the photo of the font in the Cathedral of St Andrew and St Michael where I two was baptised! You may be interested to know that Olive Schreiner lived in Bfn for two years while a very small child! Thanks once again! Love Lynette

• Walkaboutvirgo's Profile Photo
      Jan 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Hi Catherine, thanks for doing so much research on Bloemfontein and posting all those lovely pictures. I grew up in Bloem, but now live in the UK. When I'm homesick, like tonight, I search for images of Bloem on Google. Tonight a lot of the pics that came up on the list were from your Virtual Tourist pages. I was particularly touched by the photo of the font in the Cathedral of St Andrew and St Michael where I too was baptised! You may be interested to know that Olive Schreiner lived in Bfn for two years while a very small child! Thanks once again! Love Lynette

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Cathy, I really enjoyed your thoughful comments on this page! I'd like to see this city too, but doubt I'll ever get there so thanks for the tour!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2012 at 1:46 AM

After reading about the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen, i seacrhed Google for more details of the Royal visit of 1947 and found the following "In 1947, King George VI, his wife and two daughters used Oliewenhuis as residence during their three-day visit to Bloemfontein" OFS was always transit, as we were NOT ALLOWED to spend more than 24 hours in the Province ;-|

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Hi Cathy, I was happy to find your page about Bloemfontein as I am a huge admirer of Tolkien! I just visited several places associated with him in England (and will continue to do so), and of course one day I want to go to Bloemfontein. I think that apart from what you visited, it is still possible to see the building that was the bank where his father worked, and his father's grave. Of course I was happy to read your tip about the church and see the pictures of where Tolkien was baptized!
    Apart from the Tolkien connection I am fascinated to see the beautiful architecture of the city. Of course I have heard about the Boer War, but I don't know anything about it so far and so was very interested in your tips and the story of Emily Hobhouse. The statues are indeed beautiful and so touching!

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Remind me to stop by again when you have a few less things still in progress. This looks like a very interesting complex of museums and monuments in this city. Those rose cutouts are interesting because the way they have the second sheet behind them, it makes them look like they have been cut out and simply pasted onto a photograph. Thanks so very much for your compliments of the Amtrak tip. It took some 2 hours to pare it down to under 10,000 characters so VT would accept it. It was nice to have the effort rewarded so soon after the effort was over.

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Badges & Stats in Bloemfontein

Have you been to Bloemfontein?

Photos in Bloemfontein