Himeville Restaurant Tips by CatherineReichardt
Himeville Restaurants: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Years ago, I stayed in the Himeville Hotel, but I can't for the life of me recall exactly when or why I was there, as it's not really on the way anywhere.
I can't remember any specific detail from my stay other than the fact that the food was excellent, so when it came to choosing a lunch stop after our nerve jarring descent of the Sani Pass, I was curious to discover whether my memory was still justified.
I am happy to report that all these years later, the food is still wonderful.
The Himeville Hotel is one of those timewarp places that you still occasionally stumble across in the corners of the former British Empire: if you've travelled to the Eastern Highlands of Rhodesia (which still has an air of only reluctantly now being Zimbabwe), then you'll instantly recognise the ambience. Sitting on the terrace perusing the menu, there is a sense that it has remained largely unchanged since the 1970s - better still, the prices are reminiscent of Johannesburg in the 90s!
Favorite Dish: We were a group of eight eating from the pub lunch menu, and everything we had was excellent.
The kids chicken nuggets were freshly prepared morsels of crumbed chicken (not the prefab frozen affairs served by most establishments), and the menu also included seldom seen child pleasers such as bacon and banana toasted sandwiches which may also appeal to adults yearning for 'nursery food'.
The rest of the group opted for more conventional burgers and toasted sandwiches, which were also excellent - in particular, my bacon, brie and chicken burger was excellent. Just be warned that the ham appears to be of the tinned (as opposed to the thinly sliced deli variety) variety, which may or may not be to your taste.
It's worth noting that despite the apparent sleepiness of the establishment, the service was speedy.
Highly recommended - and next time I'm stopping for supper!
Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: less than US$10
More Reviews (5)
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Himeville Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Himeville
- Hotels in Himeville
- Restaurants in Himeville
- Warnings and Dangers in Himeville
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tintenbar Hotels
- Gilford Hotels
- Twin Lakes State Park West Hotels
- Abuko Hotels
- Île de Batz
- Hintersteiner See
Badges & Stats in Himeville
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Himeville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Himeville
- Posted in Travel Francistown Forum "Re: Road conditions"
- updated a Himeville Travel Page "A historic gem in the glorious Southern 'Berg"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A historic gem in the glorious Southern 'Berg"
- Wrote a Review Driving the Sani Pass? Don't forget your passport! in Himeville Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 208 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 85 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues