Johannesburg Tourist Trap Tips by CatherineReichardt Top 5 Page for this destination
Johannesburg Tourist Traps: 11 reviews and 6 photos
Try as I might, I just can't see what's so special about Sandton Square. A collection of mismatched, nondescript architecture, a rather naff statue of Mandela dancing that doesn't look much like him and a host of overpriced restaurants packed with fellow tourists - really not worth the time and effort so far as I'm concerned. I suppose that it does have the virtue of being safe, but then so are so many other far more interesting entertainment venues - see my restaurant tips for some ideas.
By all means visit if you're staying in the Sandton area, or visiting the excellent, upmarket but surprisingly affordable Sandton shopping centre (which is next door to Sandton Square), but it's really not worth making a special trip for.
If you are going to eat here, I would suggest avoiding the overhyped and overpriced Butcher's Shop unless you're a carnivorous connaisseur - a much better option is the excellent Wang Thai.
More Reviews (207)
- See All The best place to buy maps and travel...
- See All Jo'burg's all but forgotten Holocaust...
- See All Some tips on parking your car safely
- See All Buying diamonds in South Africa (or...
- See All Boutique hotel conveniently located in...
- See All Scrumptious fare in an al fresco cafe...
- See All Connect to the bus system at Gandhi...
- See All So, who was this Johannes bloke anyway?
- See All Bowl a maiden over at The Wanderers!
- See All Clubs in Johannesburg
- Randburg Waterfront now called...
Been to Johannesburg?Share your travels with the world!
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Johannesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's really not as bad as you've been told!"
- "The Fast Life , Johannesburg"
- "Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold"
- "Believe it or not, this is a great city"
- "A brief visit to Johannesburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Johannesburg
- Hotels in Johannesburg
- Transportation in Johannesburg
- Nightlife in Johannesburg
- Restaurants in Johannesburg
- Shopping in Johannesburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Johannesburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Washago Hotels
- Ahmetbeyli Hotels
- Yoho National Park
- Bradwell on Sea Hotels
- Salt Cay Hotels
Badges & Stats in Johannesburg
- 208 Reviews
- 285 Photos
- 111 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johannesburg
- Posted in Travel Umfolozi Forum "Re: umfolozi Hluhluwe accomodation"
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Johannesburg tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "When is it best to visit the Highveld?"
- Wrote a Review The best place to buy maps and travel books in Johannesburg Favorites
- updated a Johannesburg Travelogue "A user's guide to the upgraded O R Tambo Airport"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 208 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 85 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (82)
Latest Johannesburg hotel reviews
- Saxon Boutique Hotel and Spa Johannesburg
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- 2B Happy Backpackers Lodge
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013
- Mercure Johannesburg Randburg
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Zulu Nyala Country Manor
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 9, 2013
- Rosebank Hotel
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Town Lodge Roodepoort
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 14, 2013
- City Lodge Bryanston
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2012
- The Castle Kyalami
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 15, 2007
- Pembury Plaza Hotel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Protea Hotel Gold Reef City
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- St. Peter's Place
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2011
- Splice Riviera
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013
- Downtown- 42 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Gold Reef City- 20 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Lion Park- 19 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Sun City- 14 Reviews, 37 Photos
- MonteCasino- 11 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Apartheid Museum- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Randburg Waterfront- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Carlton Center- 9 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Soweto- 16 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Constitution Hill- 13 Reviews, 24 Photos
See All Johannesburg Things to Do